New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok so td6 or si6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd say that you haven't driven the Td6 to think that it is "slow around normal traffic". Paper is not reality and the area under the torque curve is impressive - which equates to acceleration and pulling force - not peak horsepower at an unusable RPM. I drove both vehicles, evaluated the experiences and the choice was obvious. The gas engine is weak up hills and sounds like it is coming through the hood under hard acceleration - easily demonstrated on a highway on ramp and up the hill to my dealership (but it is the more economical choice on the front end of the purchase). The diesel pushes you into the seat and quietly accelerates without the drama and keeps accelerating up the hill. I ordered my vehicle and waited 4+ months to get exactly what I wanted. In the process, I avoided many of the electrical and "in control" gremlins associate with the "options" on the HSE and Lux versions of the vehicles (regularly reported here) with vehicles readily available at the dealerships. I can't speak to a D5 Td6 oil change cost since they are included with my vehicle, but the interval to the first change is 8000 miles and I understand during each change the fuel filter is also replaced - perhaps this is why it costs more?. I can speak to the DEF as I have refilled the vehicle and it is pretty straightforward and much more economical and readily available than anticipated - about five minutes and I'm good to go for another 3-5K miles. The display tells you when to refill and gives you warnings every time you start the vehicle - kinda idiot proof. I live in Colorado at over 7000 feet elevation and while I do have some stop and go traffic, by no means is it as bad as the northeast corridor along I-95 or in the Boston area. I can also appreciate where diesel may not be as readily available in an urban environment, hence the choice for gas. Lots of decisions out there, just suggest folks that are looking to purchase look at all the options and avoid the impulse purchase at the dealership and get what they really want. Also consider how long you intend on keeping the vehicle and how much you will drive it. The vehicle I replaced has over 350,000 miles on it and still running strong (original engine and transmission - never rebuilt). But over the life of the vehicle, fuel costs become one of the single biggest expenses depending on how much you drive. Good luck with your Discovery purchases and keep them on the road as long as possible.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I will echo the TD6 performance. From 0-45 mph there is turbo lag, if you try to accelerate fast, it just doesn't happen. From 40+ this thing becomes a beast and pushes you into the back of your seat. I went from a SUV that would do a ~6.5 second 0-60 and honestly I am not really feeling much of a difference, when I need the speed to pass or merge it is there. I certainly didn't get my Discovery so I could beat a sports car off the line, I would get a F-type for that

Old 09-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 18 Disco
I'd say that you haven't driven the Td6 to think that it is "slow around normal traffic". Paper is not reality and the area under the torque curve is impressive - which equates to acceleration and pulling force - not peak horsepower at an unusable RPM.
I drove both in an urban setting and found the Td6 to be a lot more sluggish. I'm not basing that on theoretical peak horsepower - it was very noticeable to drive. And If you look at the stats it is definitively slower:

0-60mph is 6s in the Si6 vs. nearly 9 in the Td6. At 50pc longer I would say that 3s slower to 60mph a very real world difference.

Similarly in passing (45-65mph) the Si6 is 3s vs. 4.7s in the Td6.

I'm not knocking the diesel. Think it's a great engine, terrific fuel economy and excellent torque if you want to pull a heavy load. But in day to day driving the performance difference to me is substantial

In the end I suspect this will be a very personal choice. If one were 'better' then they wouldn't have them both - instead there are real and meaningful differences that you have to decide what fits for you.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Get a ecu tune to change all this. My Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel was the same way until I got a tune from GDE that took two seconds off the 0-60, added some power, with zero turbo lag.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I own a TD6, but have had a Si6 as a loaner for over a month (don't ask why).

I hate the Si6.

From a dead stop the 6 is sluggish, throttle response is horrible and when it comes on it does so in a hurry. I also find the TD6 to be easier to modulate and has amazing boost on the highway.

Plus I usually get 26+mpg in the diesel around town.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Interesting you say that on the throttle response. We have the same issue with our new Si6 which makes it much less than fun to drive. Press throttle - nothing, nothing, nothing - then suddenly it starts to go. I assumed there was a mech issue (it's going in to be checked) - but a number of people have mentioned the same...

Old 09-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Interesting you say that on the throttle response. We have the same issue with our new Si6 which makes it much less than fun to drive. Press throttle - nothing, nothing, nothing - then suddenly it starts to go. I assumed there was a mech issue (it's going in to be checked) - but a number of people have mentioned the same...
From a dead stop there is no lag or lack of response in my gasser. The issue is when I am coasting in a round-about going from 2nd to 1st and then push hard - that was my point in the thread on the transmission issue

Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

shouldn’t be like that as a supercharged. Turbo would be one thing but not this engine.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Hayseed. That's what I thought you said but others on your thread seemed to suggest they have the issue pulling away from stationary

ToiletDuck - totally agree and it's in today being looked at. Will report back. It's not engine lag (like turbo lag) - it's more that it just pauses. Unclear if transmission or throttle response - but hoping they can fix it!

Old 09-14-2018, 06:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Hayseed. That's what I thought you said but others on your thread seemed to suggest they have the issue pulling away from stationary

ToiletDuck - totally agree and it's in today being looked at. Will report back. It's not engine lag (like turbo lag) - it's more that it just pauses. Unclear if transmission or throttle response - but hoping they can fix it!
It sounds like transmission behavior. Trying to decide if one gear downshift is enough or needs two... In a diesel, there's no such hesitation, due to limited RPM range.
Have been using an F-pace as loaner, have the same hesitation.

Quick Reply: Ok so td6 or si6?