Sponsored by:

Potential 2018 Discovery purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 09:10 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential 2018 Discovery purchase

Hi all,

My last rover was a 2006 LR3. We are looking to come back to the brand and eyeing a certified (for 1 yr) 2018 HSE Lux that's out of state..
We have an option to pick up a 2017 HSE Lux locally but my guess is you guys would sway me towards the 2018? From what i understand, only for the LCD speedo cluster and CarPlay functionality in 2018?
It's got 45K miles. Is there anything I should check on or request them to do before purchase?
As a side note, I plan to do some aesthetic mods and i'm assuming i'll be able to easily retro fit the dynamic black mesh grille and perhaps the square exhaust finishers on the rear. Also need the larger wheels.
Thanks so much!

Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, I have a 2017 and actually prefer the analog gauges to the LCD screen, aesthetically. Also, CarPlay works for 2017 as well. It's just a software update.

I'd go for whichever is the better deal.

I'd also check to see if the windshield has been replaced due to leaking.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

I like the digital gauges on the 2018. But not a deal breaker.

On the 2018 you can get another year of CPO added - should be about $1000-1500 depending on how hard you negotiate. Just check you get more than the 50k mile limit - think ours is 75k. Otherwise you'll time out on mileage soon

Nothing much to check if it has been certified and got extended warranty. Ask to see service history to understand if it has had issues in the past. As above check if the windscreen replacement has been done and given it's such a common issue I'd suggest insisting they replace it.

Ours is the 2018 HSE Lux. We've had it since new and love it. Done a bit over 50k of trouble-free miles. Only replacement needed was the leaky windscreen.

Good luck!!

Old 10-15-2021, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

My 2017 was purchased as a CPO. The CPO warranty only added a year to the factory 4 year warranty but the printout in the Land Rover computer shows the mileage limit as 100K miles.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
My 2017 was purchased as a CPO. The CPO warranty only added a year to the factory 4 year warranty but the printout in the Land Rover computer shows the mileage limit as 100K miles.
Yes - there are various options beyond the 4 yr / 50k factory warranty. The CPO can be 75k miles or 100k miles. And add 1 or 2 years extension (maybe 3, not sure about that now). Price varies depending on choice. We got an extra year and 75k miles on ours.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:13 AM
Drifting

Thank you all for all the helpful feedback! Put a deposit down on the 2018 Lux. I will inquire about what it takes to upgrade to the 2 year CPO extension. If it's around $1000, sounds like a no brainer.
I assume my only chance to get the additional year of CPO is from the selling dealer at time of sale?
Have already started shopping for 21" black wheels to replace the stock 20" that come with it. Will likely list the stock wheels/tires in the classifieds shortly.

Old 10-17-2021, 05:15 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome @06Rover We were in a similar boat. We left our 05 LR3 HSE V8 and came back with a brief detour into a 17 Disco Spot landed our 19 D5 TD SE. We were trying to time the diesels coming and going. While we got new, were did look at CPOs and were told you only got one kick at the CPO can and at $1000 that does sound like a no brainer. With the windscreen recall, we didn't get new glass but got new carpets. We had more issues with the grounding recall as that messes up everything randomly. Mostly solid (but very under driven) since.

Unsure what it's like where you are but there a plenty of new RRS takeoffs here; factory still but a slight step up from D5.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Rover06
Thank you all for all the helpful feedback! Put a deposit down on the 2018 Lux. I will inquire about what it takes to upgrade to the 2 year CPO extension. If it's around $1000, sounds like a no brainer.
I assume my only chance to get the additional year of CPO is from the selling dealer at time of sale?
Have already started shopping for 21" black wheels to replace the stock 20" that come with it. Will likely list the stock wheels/tires in the classifieds shortly.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:11 AM
Drifting

So we still haven't picked it up yet from out of state, but i did call another local LR dealer to validate what the selling dealer was telling me - and that is LR does not offer any options for the buyer to extend the certified warranty beyond what is provided by LR based on the age of the car. On this 2018, CPO is an additional 1 yr/Unlimited miles from factory warranty. I cannot pay to extend that certified warranty. The only options for extended warranties are the aftermarket ones starting around $2700+
It sounds like if a dealer is trying to ask for money for a longer CPO, that they may be just gaming the system.
I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and spending the $3-4K on an aftermarket warranty extension for a few additional years. I just don't know this car well enough to put that money in the bank and roll the dice. From a work order i saw, it has had the windshield done and carpets refreshed.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rover06
So we still haven't picked it up yet from out of state, but i did call another local LR dealer to validate what the selling dealer was telling me - and that is LR does not offer any options for the buyer to extend the certified warranty beyond what is provided by LR based on the age of the car. On this 2018, CPO is an additional 1 yr/Unlimited miles from factory warranty. I cannot pay to extend that certified warranty. The only options for extended warranties are the aftermarket ones starting around $2700+
It sounds like if a dealer is trying to ask for money for a longer CPO, that they may be just gaming the system.
I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and spending the $3-4K on an aftermarket warranty extension for a few additional years. I just don't know this car well enough to put that money in the bank and roll the dice. From a work order i saw, it has had the windshield done and carpets refreshed.
Text or call me at (602) 909-9216 or email me at tgibson@highline-autos.com, I can get you a quote and example contract on a Complete Manufacturer's Extension through Freedom Warranty. 5, 6, 7, years / up to 100k or 125k mile terms. I've got the same policy on my 2014 Range Rover, the only reason I bought it was because of my great experience with Freedom Warranty on my Mercedes S-Class. I don't have to worry about Land Rover's spotty reputation, I just enjoy the car.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

From the Land Rover website:

Every Certified Pre-Owned Land Rover vehicle is subjected to a rigorous 165-point inspection and is protected by up to a either a one year/unlimited miles or two years/100,000 miles limited warranty

Quick Reply: Potential 2018 Discovery purchase