Sponsored by:

Potential 2018 Discovery purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 10:00 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BritCars
From the Land Rover website:

Every Certified Pre-Owned Land Rover vehicle is subjected to a rigorous 165-point inspection and is protected by up to a either a one year/unlimited miles or two years/100,000 miles limited warranty
Exactly, and whichever one of these certified terms is predetermined for the car cannot be changed or extended for any cost. Aftermarket warranties are the only option to extend.
Did you buy an extended warranty for your 2018?

Old 10-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes - I bought the 2018 Discovery new and did extend the warranty. I went with one extra year and 75k miles on mine.

It's strange that they can't just tag on the additional year. I've bought two CPO Jaguars and both had one extra year and for both I bought the additional year on the spot.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes - I bought the 2018 Discovery new and did extend the warranty. I went with one extra year and 75k miles on mine.

It's strange that they can't just tag on the additional year. I've bought two CPO Jaguars and both had one extra year and for both I bought the additional year on the spot.
Extending the factory warranty on a vehicle you purchased new, and extending the CPO are different. CPO warranties have exclusions to their coverage, extending the warranty on the car you purchased new, the vehicle is treated as if you had driven it off the showroom floor yesterday.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Extending the factory warranty on a vehicle you purchased new, and extending the CPO are different. CPO warranties have exclusions to their coverage, extending the warranty on the car you purchased new, the vehicle is treated as if you had driven it off the showroom floor yesterday.
No - that's not correct. I have the factory warranty for the normal period then the same extended program as the CPO for one more year. It's exactly the same as buying used with a CPO.
Despite lots of people calling it an "extended warranty", it is very different from the factory warranty. Far more exclusions and exceptions. Still worth it in my view as insurance against major engine or electrical issues. But it won't cover a lot of items that the factory warranty would cover. I bought it for peace of mind and hope to never need to use it.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

No - that's not correct. I have the factory warranty for the normal period then the same extended program as the CPO for one more year. It's exactly the same as buying used with a CPO.
Despite lots of people calling it an "extended warranty", it is very different from the factory warranty. Far more exclusions and exceptions. Still worth it in my view as insurance against major engine or electrical issues. But it won't cover a lot of items that the factory warranty would cover. I bought it for peace of mind and hope to never need to use it.
Mercedes, for example you can extend the original factory warranty further if you are the original owner, if you are not the original owner, and wish to extended the factory warranty, you are only able to purchase the CPO.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:47 PM
4th Gear
Default Dumb Supermodel

Originally Posted by Rover06
Hi all,

My last rover was a 2006 LR3. We are looking to come back to the brand and eyeing a certified (for 1 yr) 2018 HSE Lux that's out of state..
We have an option to pick up a 2017 HSE Lux locally but my guess is you guys would sway me towards the 2018? From what i understand, only for the LCD speedo cluster and CarPlay functionality in 2018?
It's got 45K miles. Is there anything I should check on or request them to do before purchase?
As a side note, I plan to do some aesthetic mods and i'm assuming i'll be able to easily retro fit the dynamic black mesh grille and perhaps the square exhaust finishers on the rear. Also need the larger wheels.
Thanks so much!
We bought a 2018 HSE Discovery diesel and it's been in the shop more than in our yard. It's a gorgeous car that gets great mileage and I love everything about it, except that it's the biggest disappointment of a vehicle. A complete and total let down. It's like a gorgeous supermodel who is dumb as rocks. If my Discovery had a soulmate, it would be a tow truck.

My supermodel is currently at LR service in NY, (350 miles from home) where it's been for 17 days after completely breaking down on a road trip on I-95 in rush hour traffic. It has under 14,000 miles. I was told it's a computer module, which has since been replaced and they still can't start the car. While driving I lost power steering, blinker use, hazard lights, driver blind spot assist and the stereo before all instrument panels went completely black. If nothing else, shouldn't the hazards work while the rest of the car is totally malfunctioning? Isn't that the entire point of the hazards?

Anyway, It was quite a terrifying experience being in stop and go traffic, wondering if the break lights work and if the 18-wheeler barreling down is going to slam into the car before I can get off the highway. Two days prior to that fun road trip it was in the shop for the airbag light that would illuminate when my husband drove, but not when I did. It got a software update followed by a clean bill of health and completely died 2 days later. A month before that we left a restaurant only to have the parking break stuck and unable to be released. The car needed to be towed for another week of service, once again, the fix was software.

All in all, this has been the least reliable car I've ever driven. BUT, if that doesn't scare you, I know of a beauty still under warranty going on the market really soon!