Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Paid SIM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:12 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre-Paid SIM?

Has anyone had any luck putting in a prepaid SIM for data access? Really, the only thing I am interested in is being able to access the car via the app (and presumably I need data to do that).

Put a little differently, has anyone had any luck using a SIM card with anything other than what came with the car?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

The sim that came with the D5 should be valid through end of factory warranty and allow access via incontol app. Not for surfing internet from D5 though. No payment or data plan needs to be purchased.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice! i have no interest in data/hotspot functionality.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

That's great to know. My 3 month t mobile plan that came free with the car expired. But the car does still seem to communicate fine. I had thought I needed to sign up for a new data plan, but seems like you're saying that's not the case

So can I get navigation data, traffic details, on control communication etc all with the existing sim for free? Is it just the WiFi hotspot that won't work, or is there other functionality that's disabled too?

Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a D5 last week and was told that once 3 month expire, traffic details will not work (together with Wifi).

Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
That's great to know. My 3 month t mobile plan that came free with the car expired. But the car does still seem to communicate fine. I had thought I needed to sign up for a new data plan, but seems like you're saying that's not the case

So can I get navigation data, traffic details, on control communication etc all with the existing sim for free? Is it just the WiFi hotspot that won't work, or is there other functionality that's disabled too?
Anything that uses data, like traffic won't work. Mine ran out this summer and not only the traffic but most POI's on the nav system will not be found. Street addresses work fine but it would never find anything I tried to locate by name (a restaurant for instance). My remote control app still worked though and I believe the emergency onstar type thing. I actually have a thread on here with my saga to get my data plan working again. I ended up needing a new sim card reader and software updates. But during that time the remote app still worked, it uses something different to communicate.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Mudding

Here is the thread about my sim card issues:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...t-reset-90817/

Preeble, I am thinking you will have trouble with the prepaid sim card. At one point before I brought it in to the dealer, I was told to try another sim card. I got one from AT&T. But later at the dealer they didn't use that one and used the original one , even though the top edge was a little chewed up. They said it was a special one, could be BS but the one I got at the AT&T store was the same size but did have a smaller circuit pattern on the back, the original one was almost completely gold on the back.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I am not as up to date as Ned but from my questions at my LR dealer I believe everything he has stated is accurate. So if you need traffic or satellite imagery on your nav system, you'll likely need the $20 per month AT&T plan for the factory SIM.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Three Wheeling

Another option is to connect the car to your phone’s data by creating a hotspot (on the phone). Once you have the hotspot turned on, you connect to it via the car’s wi-if option. Basically, you’re connecting the car to the phone like you’d connect to any wi-if network.

I’ve used this for a while and it works well (see my other post “SIM Data vs Phone”)

Old 12-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Does it self connect every time you drive? Or do you need to do it manually?

Quick Reply: Pre-Paid SIM?