Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Rack fitted

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Looking good!!

I was thinking about adding some of the Rhino accessory mount, but waiting to see how things evolve. You planning on adding sliders for the hi-lift?

Really like your garage roof system to take off and store. Unfortunately my garage just doesn't have the space for something like that.

Honestly not sure you should worry too much about wind noise, as your system is easy to remove/install. So no need to run around with the roofrack on a daily basis. In the past I found that when loading a bunch of crap on the roof rack will introduce noise anyway, but it is not a big deal when you go somewhere to camp/explore.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by andries
Looking good!!

I was thinking about adding some of the Rhino accessory mount, but waiting to see how things evolve. You planning on adding sliders for the hi-lift?
I’m in the south, not a lot of rock crawling around here. I’ve got a tire clip that works with the hi-lift. Going to give that a try before looking into sliders.

Originally Posted by andries
In the past I found that when loading a bunch of crap on the roof rack will introduce noise anyway, but it is not a big deal when you go somewhere to camp/explore.
Yea, that’s what I figured. Not worried if going on a trip. Just not a fan for daily driving.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Ok, silly question here: But do you think it would be possible to attach a Yakima box to the rack?

Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
Ok, silly question here: But do you think it would be possible to attach a Yakima box to the rack?
Not silly at all. Rhino Rack makes a bunch of different adapters for their platforms. I think you have two options. Use the crossbars that come with the platforms (and remove the platform itself) and mount your luggage box to those. Or, use this on top of the platform (without any rails) to mount a variety of different things.

The following users liked this post:
1979rover (05-06-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to the front runner store to check things out. I liked the slim line II rack. I like the accessories provided. I travel with random gear (cause I have two kids) and I like to take my Stand Up Paddle boards places and plan to get a water holder with mount. I was looking at the LAND ROVER ALL NEW DISCOVERY (2017-CURRENT) FLUSH RAIL SLIMLINE II ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER. Its looks easy to remove if I need to.
Anybody have this?

Any comments or concerns on this setup? I was thinking for long trips to camp at the beach I would have a roof box, paddle boards, and water holder.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ii-rr-kit.html

Old 10-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions about rack

I currently have Thule cross bars and am trying to figure out if I can get them to work with buying just the platform. I imagine the same Tbolts will fit in both. The Thule aero bars are narrower though, and have a bulge on the rounded end covers.

1)Can someone let me know how much lift the SX cross bars have. Either measured from the roof to the cross bar or from the top of the rail to the crossbar?

2) Has anyone tried putting the 76x54 SX platform on a Disco 5?

Thanks

Old 10-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MudDisco
I currently have Thule cross bars and am trying to figure out if I can get them to work with buying just the platform. I imagine the same Tbolts will fit in both. The Thule aero bars are narrower though, and have a bulge on the rounded end covers.

1)Can someone let me know how much lift the SX cross bars have. Either measured from the roof to the cross bar or from the top of the rail to the crossbar?

2) Has anyone tried putting the 76x54 SX platform on a Disco 5?

Thanks

1) Will need to look and see if I have measurement of the setup, but don't recall offhand.
2) I have the 60x54 and you can see from the pictures how much of the roof it covers. I think the 76 may be a bit big for the D5 as you will end up covered more the shark fin antenna and also it will be getting close to the windshield line. My concern would be the wind being deflected up from the windshield creating an upforce/flow through the roof rack and lots of noise(and potentially packing issues).

Old 10-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Some pics with the jerry can holder fitted.
Had to mount it more central than I would have liked, garage door and how it mounts limits options. Still works well enough.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Not sure if this helps you, but this what I measured to clear the moonroof.

The height is to the bottom of the rack & top of the crossbars. Note the bottom of rack, the center crossbar is not mounted to the vehicle itself just to strengthen the slats of the rack. If you look at the rack you will see the what I mean.

Last edited by andries; 10-25-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That does give me some good info, I’m thinking I may have to go with the SX legs or cut my end covers.

As the the longer length, my goal was to get it far enough forward to hang my light bar. I don’t want the light to come in through the sunroof. I also want it far enough back to help rear loading.

If I was not worried about reception, could the rack cover the shark fin? Is it high enough?

How are you liking your rack? Do you have it off most of the time? Is the wind noise that bad? I currently have a basket and light bar up top, I imagine this would be quieter.

Thanks for for the info, nice set up.

Quick Reply: Rhino Rack fitted