Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Roofrack input needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Rhino Roofrack input needed

I'm looking for a roofrack that will be relatively easy to put on and take off as needed. Want to use it for camping and offroad mostly, but then take it off when using the D5 for daily driving or skiing in the winter. The stock crossbars I fitted with Thule ski racks, and it pops on and off pretty quickly, so very handy for ski trips, looking for a similar experience for a roofrack (but this may be a 2 person job).

I saw Rhino-Rack showing this rack for the D5 #JA8979 - Pioneer SX Platform (60" x 54") | Rhino-Rack
The feet looks like it can be disconnected and reattached pretty quickly once it all is setup. I'm not sure how well/secure the feet will fit to the roofrails on the D5, and how easily it actually is to remove and put back.

I do like the modular nature of the rack with eyebolts, jerry can holders, etc that can be fitted as needed. Will most just put lighter weight camping items on it, and use a cargo bag. Would like to add Jerry cans as well, 1-2 gas and 1-2 water pending the trip.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

FrontRunner has something similar with two different "feet" configurations. You can get it so that it mounts into the bolt holes atop the roof rails or you can get it with more traditional clamp style feet (six total). I'm partial to the second set up for the reasons you mentioned as well as it looks like the rack sits lower to the vehicle than the bolt on version does.

I tend to lean more FrontRunner than Rhino for the fit/finish of the accessories, but TBH I've only seen pictures.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:53 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the Rhino SX cross bar set-up. Once adjusted it is a 5 minute take-off/reinstall - they are solid and lock onto the factory roof rails. The platform attaches to these cross bars - not directly to the roof (or factory roof rails). I like this because I can use the cross bars for other things as well without the platform. I do not have the platform but will probably go that direction.

The following users liked this post:
andries (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys.

I just looked at the FrontRunner installation instructions, and it seems way more involved than the Rhino rack. Especially given that it seems you may have to assemble the rack itself as well. It seems to use a number of hex bolts to clamp down, which always ends up being a pain for a rack that you remove and reattach on a regular basis.

Still hashing out options for a roofrack, but definitely need one that is quick and easy enough to remove and reattach a few times a year as it won't live on the D5 permanently.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

We are a Frontrunner distributor. Once the rack is assembled, it's done. You just remove as a compete assembly.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Hayseed_D5
I have the Rhino SX cross bar set-up. Once adjusted it is a 5 minute take-off/reinstall - they are solid and lock onto the factory roof rails. The platform attaches to these cross bars - not directly to the roof (or factory roof rails). I like this because I can use the cross bars for other things as well without the platform. I do not have the platform but will probably go that direction.
Does the crossbars you installed use the Vortex SX legs? I assume you have this #JA6418 - Vortex SX Black 2 Bar Roof Rack | Rhino-Rack

It seems to clamp on relatively easily and then use of the key to lock it. Since I already have the OEM crossbars for the skiracks I will probably just use the legs directly with the SX platform.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Mudding

I would need to check the part numbers but yes, I have the SX legs and aero bars. Both would be needed for the platform.

The following users liked this post:
1979rover (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Mudding

Just spoke with Cody at Rhino (great guy by the way) and he clarified that you can use the SX026 legs and the platform (44101B) and do NOT need the crossbars.

I sent Cody the link and he will be on to answer questions and show pics.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hayseed_D5:
1979rover (01-09-2019), andries (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino-Rack SX Pioneer Platform for 18 Disco W/ Flush Rails

Hey Guys, Gals -

I'm Cody from Rhino-Rack and I'd like to clear the air on a few different fits we have available for the Land Rover Disco 5. We do offer a Pioneer platform that attaches to the flush rails. This system consists of two parts, SX026 + 44101B Pioneer Platform. The pioneer is directly mounted to the legs saving profile and adding a sleek OE look. Our systems are made of structural grade aluminum offering a quite low profile look while accommodating up to 70 + accessories. This system will support a dynamic load rating of 176lbs. Static usually triples.

I had trouble finding a photo for this system attached to a flush rail. I did manage to find one to a raised rail, not my favorite but please imagine this rack fitting to a flush rail. This would save 3 inches on overall height.

Here is a link to our site:
#JA8979 - Pioneer SX Platform (60" x 54") | Rhino-Rack

This is attached to a raised rail; imagine this attached to a flush rail. Saves 3 or so inches.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Hayseed_D5
Just spoke with Cody at Rhino (great guy by the way) and he clarified that you can use the SX026 legs and the platform (44101B) and do NOT need the crossbars.

I sent Cody the link and he will be on to answer questions and show pics.
Thanks, good info.

Quick Reply: Rhino Roofrack input needed