Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022 | 08:38 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Suspension fault

So, just got back from visiting my parentsH in South America which meant driving around on my dad’s P38 Range Rover for two weeks. Drove the D5 all day today, but when I went to run an evening errand got a suspension fault message on the dash and the air suspension switch on the center console turned off and would do nothing. Car seemed to be stuck in access height. Turned the car off and back on, the air suspension switch was enabled so raised it, but the front seemed to be stuck in access height. After a couple mins with the car on, the fault message came back and the switch was disabled. Put the car back in the garage to take it to the dealer, and seems to be on normal height in the rear and access height in the front. Hoping it’s no major component failure (the compressor seems to be working, so either the electronics or some valve might be the culprit). Posting out of curiosity to see if someone has ever had a similar issue.

Funny thing is the P38 is 24 years old (though only 80k miles) and has only had one issue with the air suspension about a year ago. It was fixed by my dad with a $38 valve block o ring and diaphragm repair kit… is new better than old? 😀

Last edited by Juancl; 04-08-2022 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2022 | 12:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Juancl
So, just got back from visiting my parentsH in South America which meant driving around on my dad’s P38 Range Rover for two weeks. Drove the D5 all day today, but when I went to run an evening errand got a suspension fault message on the dash and the air suspension switch on the center console turned off and would do nothing. Car seemed to be stuck in access height. Turned the car off and back on, the air suspension switch was enabled so raised it, but the front seemed to be stuck in access height. After a couple mins with the car on, the fault message came back and the switch was disabled. Put the car back in the garage to take it to the dealer, and seems to be on normal height in the rear and access height in the front. Hoping it’s no major component failure (the compressor seems to be working, so either the electronics or some valve might be the culprit). Posting out of curiosity to see if someone has ever had a similar issue.

Funny thing is the P38 is 24 years old (though only 80k miles) and has only had one issue with the air suspension about a year ago. It was fixed by my dad with a $38 valve block o ring and diaphragm repair kit… is new better than old? 😀
It's not unique to the Discovery and can impact any of our air suspension vehicles. You may have a faulty height level sensor or a malfunctioning air valve block, but it's hard to say without an inspection. You didn't mention the year or mileage so there's too many possibilities.

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (07-12-2023)
Old 04-08-2022 | 01:09 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by The Insider
It's not unique to the Discovery and can impact any of our air suspension vehicles. You may have a faulty height level sensor or a malfunctioning air valve block, but it's hard to say without an inspection. You didn't mention the year or mileage so there's too many possibilities.
Thanks! 2017 D5 with 54k miles. Also, quick update, today I turned the car on and the suspension height switch was enabled (no fault shown), so used it to set it to normal and the front raised to normal height (back was already at normal height), getting the whole car in normal, when I started driving got a message (Normal Height Only). Got it back to the garage and turned it off and now both front and rear are in normal height.

Last edited by Juancl; 04-08-2022 at 02:20 PM.
ar077 (07-12-2023)
Old 04-17-2022 | 10:40 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Final update. Car went into the shop and was done in a day. The EAS rear expansion chamber was the culprit. $130 part + $220 labor and all back to normal.

The following 2 users liked this post by Juancl:
ar077 (07-12-2023), TheManMac (07-08-2023)
Old 04-17-2022 | 03:45 PM
4th Gear

2022 p300s 1900KM had a similar issue, 700km from home, and I can’t get out access mode, wish you the best

vapormike (07-06-2023)
Old 04-17-2022 | 07:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Don't mean to bogart your thread here but thought this might apply . ..

I am positive our A/S has an issue but I do not have any faults. We both keep getting into these weird dynamics on exceedingly uneven roads and especially with cross winds where I think the right front is over-reacting to the rocking from the road or to a wind gust. It feels like the compression is weak so the vehicle dives too far the other way and then rocks back too far on the rebound which kicks it too far back the other way. It can make you kind of sea sick. The wife and I both have had to just slow down and gradually speed up again to get out of it.

Kind of a side to side A/S oscillation thing?

Anyone else experience this?

I have to go in for a couple of minor problems soon [like that silly rear view mirror fan] and would like to be more intelligent on what to tell them.

Thx!

Old 07-06-2023 | 02:41 PM
Drifting

Just experienced this issue on my 2022 P360 (~14500 miles). No faults. Good thing I was close to home. Parked it, locked it, left it for a while, restarted and working again.

Old 07-11-2023 | 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Had this ended up being a crack in the air pump housing. It’s a known issue they’ve redesigned the pump.

ar077 (07-12-2023)