New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AT&T Dropping 3G for 2017 First Edition Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

What’s interesting, yet concerning, is JLR have been completely silent about this and this is just a couple months away. I am hoping they are not just running the clock and just come up with a cold letter in December or early January informing us that effective February stuff is just going to stop working (that happened to me a few years back when CDMA was phased out impacting my then 5 year old BMW, though in that case BMW sent those notifications almost a year before the actual phasing out date).

Old 11-18-2021, 09:13 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened in my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi when AT&T dropped 2G. Ford upgraded the modem at no cost outside of warranty. I am hoping JLR decides to do the right thing. I don’t have much faith as I have been requesting a SIM card for almost a year since buying my 2020 LR5 as a CPO.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:58 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You'll be fine in your 2020. Speak to your current wireless carrier. Most of them have an "add on" card that shares your current phones' data plans. Though ours was new, it also didn't have a SIM. Fixed that in 5 minutes of the first drive home at a mall wireless booth; we share 60+GB amongst us, the add-on even came with a nominal additional 1 to 2 GB.

I lean on our dealer for nice loaners & free DEF top ups. Tech not so much.

Originally Posted by Cody Smith
This happened in my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi when AT&T dropped 2G. Ford upgraded the modem at no cost outside of warranty. I am hoping JLR decides to do the right thing. I don’t have much faith as I have been requesting a SIM card for almost a year since buying my 2020 LR5 as a CPO.

Old 12-04-2021, 11:33 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good question - I have a 2017 RR Sport with 3G. I called JLR customer support and was told to contact AT&T to find out what they were doing about it. Of course, AT&T said that JLR needs to upgrade the cellular radio unit. I submitted an online query about a month ago and received no response.
I contacted my local dealer, they referred me to customer support.
If there is a plan it is a big secret...

Old 12-05-2021, 12:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff_t
If there is a plan it is a big secret...
I think their plan is for us to pay for upgraded units. Most of the older modems, will be out of warranty by then.
JLR knew this all along. Why do you think they did not sell any more CDMA units in the last 4 years ?

Old 12-05-2021, 10:31 AM
4th Gear

The sunset had been extended from 2021 to 2022 due to to COVID, so arguably if a solution had been developed for the original date it would exist today. I am optimistic that they have a solution in the works and that it will be free of charge. What leads you to believe they have developed an upgraded unit for us to purchase?

Old 12-05-2021, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling

If they have an upgraded unit, that is going to cost money. Why would they upgrade you for something that is out of warranty ? when they can make some $$ .... we're talking JLR here, right ?
The solution is there already - the "modems" used in every vehicle from 2018 and up - they can very easy retrofit those into the CDMA versions. But I seriously doubt it will be free.
If they will do it for free, that would be a first.
Have you heard of any reliable news / bulletins where they are lining up to upgrade the units ?

Old 12-05-2021, 01:30 PM
4th Gear

I haven't heard anything, it is almost "too" quiet, which is why I wonder if there will be a fully baked solution available at all.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Very interesting article !!!

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/43187/...screw-your-car

Note that JLR did not responded to request for info.
I wonder why....?

Old 12-10-2021, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

One would think that since there are D5s out there with InControl Pro and 4G modems this should be as simple as replacing the modem. Don't think they will do it for free, specially in these times, and availability of modems will probably be an issue. Still, I would pay for it (assuming a reasonable cost) to keep the features that would be lost. I wonder if some entrepreneurial LR shop out there would be able to retrofit the modem in case JLR's approach is just to phase out the features.

Quick Reply: AT&T Dropping 3G for 2017 First Edition Discovery