Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 11:12 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LR disco 5
Is the BMW Pan that FCP sells any Good?
That's the one I'll be going with when mine is due in about 10k miles @ 60k.

I believe per the service manual we have the ZF 8HP70 transmission.
My 2019 gas Discovery has the 8hp45x transmission. I believe the diesel versions have the 8hp70 (due to the increased tq)

I'm sticking with the OEM ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid - I've seen in some cases "approved" fluids from different manufacturers wreak havoc on the trans.

There's a page in the ZF workbook that describes "flushing" the trans with an air compressor gun:

Workbook link:https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...5&d=1460520414

CTA tools makes a tool specifically for ZF trans - it appears to remove an additional 2 - 2.5qts of the old fluid. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/tra...h-kit-cta-7650

In action:

PPE also makes an aluminum +1 or +2qt trans pan that fits other 8HP70 applications.. I believe it will fit but i'm not 100% sure.. either ECS tuning or FCP euro lists it as compatible with our application.. forgot which website. Looking under the skid plate, there appears to be room to fit this as well. I just installed a scangauge 3 to monitor trans temps when towing.. if it gets pretty high, I may be getting one of these when it's time.

Last edited by 462disco; 06-19-2023 at 01:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 462disco:
ar077 (06-07-2023), bkjecu94 (02-23-2024), gmfain (06-07-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 11:03 AM
Winching
Received 292 Likes on 181 Posts

Anyone use this kit?

I'm thinking of going with it.

Thoughts?

https://www.idparts.com/automatic-tr...01-p-5743.html

Old 06-29-2023, 03:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gmfain
Anyone use this kit?

I'm thinking of going with it.

Thoughts?

https://www.idparts.com/automatic-tr...01-p-5743.html
fcpeuro has the latest oe zf hengst pan for $86
eeuroparts has the zf lifeguard for $16/qt
Probably be under $250 after tax/ship with Oe parts

The following users liked this post:
gmfain (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 07:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 462disco
fcpeuro has the latest oe zf hengst pan for $86
eeuroparts has the zf lifeguard for $16/qt
Probably be under $250 after tax/ship with Oe parts
I ordered the ZF Hengst pan and the ZF Lifeguard all from FPC Euro, free shipping. TL $212.85

Thanks for the tip

The following users liked this post:
462disco (06-29-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Does anyone know if the following transmission adapation reset technique works for the D5? Is it even needed with a fluid flush?

1) Press Start button but don't turn on the engine.
2) Press the Accelerator down to the floor for about 15 seconds.
3) Hit the start button again to turn off the power.
4) Remove foot from Accelerator
5) Waity for 2 Mins.
6) Start the engine and Drive.

Also - with the Gap IID tool, anyone know the difference between:
Adaption Reset &
Allow Central Configuration Data Learning

Old 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

About to attempt this with the zf pan I just recently got from fcp euro and was wondering if the transmission adaptation reset was necessary and if this
Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 Code Scanner OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool for iOS iPhone iPad/Android Compatible with ELM327 Adapter, Code Readers & Scan Tools - Amazon Canada Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 Code Scanner OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool for iOS iPhone iPad/Android Compatible with ELM327 Adapter, Code Readers & Scan Tools - Amazon Canada
was able to do that and does the torque pro app need any subscription or is it just the one time payment to download the app?

Old 02-22-2024, 04:41 AM
Winching

Reset Automatic Transmission:

0. Press "Start" button only. (ie: Do NOT start the engine.)
1. Press and hold gas pedal to floor for approx. 15secs.
2. Press "Start" button again.
3. Release gas pedal.
4. Wait approx. 2mins.; start engine and drive.

(Footnote: This process will renew the transmission program and erase the adaptive learning system to learn your driving style. If ever the system feels slow/sluggish just perform another reset.)

The following 3 users liked this post by gmfain:
ar077 (02-25-2024), bkjecu94 (02-23-2024), LR disco 5 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

I have ordered and received the ZF transmission pan (with bolts and plug and filter) from FCP Euro but haven't installed it yet.
I ordered 7 Liters of Lifeguard 8 Automatic Transmission Fluid (1 Liter) - ZF S67109031201 from FCP Euro. I did not order the kit which includes the fluid so I can return any unopened bottles since I'm not sure if I need more than 6 Liters.

I can confirm the OBDII Scanner Vgate iCar Pro 4.0 BIMMERCODE Coding iPad IOS Android Code Reader will provide transmission temperature while using the Car Scanner App on my iphone. I do not have any subscription for this app. I bought the Vgate for $20 from Ebay (also available on Amazon) about a year ago and made sure it worked. I have used it once since then to clear a code caused by a loose gas cap. My more expensive Foxwell NT 650 Elite is essentially worthless. Hightly not recommended.

I plan to purchase a fluid transfer pump for $10 from Harbor Freight if it is the correct size for the Lifeguard Liter bottles. I have a similar pump that fits on gear oil bottles but it appears to be too small for the Lifeguard bottles. You will certainly need a method to transfer the fluid from the bottle into the side fill hole. And the last couple liters will need to be done efficiently while monitoring transmission temperature.

I also plan to purchase the Medium Mixing Tub from Home Depot for $8 to catch all the draining fluid and dripping fluid. The transmission pan is about 20 inches by 12 inches and this tub is about 28 inches by 20 inches wide by 6 inches deep and will hold ice and beer after the job is done.

I plan to let it all cool down for a day after the fluid change and then warm it up again and check the fluid level before reinstalling the protective panels and removing the jack stands.

Last edited by ponderosajack; 02-22-2024 at 08:50 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ponderosajack:
BalanBro (02-22-2024), bkjecu94 (02-22-2024), gmfain (02-22-2024), LR disco 5 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 08:42 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
I have ordered and received the ZF transmission pan (with bolts and plug and filter) from FCP Euro but haven't installed it yet.
I ordered 7 Liters of Lifeguard 8 Automatic Transmission Fluid (1 Liter) - ZF S67109031201 from FCP Euro. I did not order the kit which includes the fluid so I can return any unopened bottles since I'm not sure if I need more than 6 Liters.

I can confirm the OBDII Scanner Vgate iCar Pro 4.0 BIMMERCODE Coding iPad IOS Android Code Reader will provide transmission temperature while using the Car Scanner App on my iphone. I do not have any subscription for this app. I bought the Vgate for $20 from Ebay (also available on Amazon) about a year ago and made sure it worked. I have used it once since then to clear a code caused by a loose gas cap. My more expensive Foxwell NT 650 Elite is essentially worthless. Hightly not recommended.

I plan to purchase a fluid transfer pump for $10 from Harbor Freight if it is the correct size for the Lifeguard Liter bottles. I have a similar pump that fits on gear oil bottles but it appears to be too small for the Lifeguard bottles. You will certainly need a method to transfer the fluid from the bottle into the side fill hole. And the last couple liters will need to be done efficiently while monitoring transmission temperature.

I also plan to purchas the Medium Mixing Tub from Home Depot for $8 to catch all the draining fluid and dripping fluid. The transmission pan is about 20 inches by 12 inches and this tub is about 28 inches by 20 inches wide by 6 inches deep and will hold ice and beer after the job is done.

I plan to let it all cool down for a day after the fluid change and then warm it up again and check the fluid level before reinstalling the protective panels and removing the jack stands.
Good timing! I'm planning to do mine very soon as well. My plan was to order the "BMW" 8HP trans kit, since it looks like all the components and fluid are ZF branded. Also planning to do the T-case and both differentials since I don't think any of that had been done before.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

I had received confirmation from FCP that the BMW part number fit my D5. I cross checked the number on Atlantic British also.
I just sort of tried that Harbor Freight pump to see if it would fit.
Without removing the seal from under the cap on a bottle of Lifeguard I swapped caps from the Lifeguard and an empty BMW twin turbo liter bottle.
So both bottles had the same cap size and then the Harbor Freight pump did thread onto the BMW twin turbo liter bottle so it should fit the Lifeguard.
That Lifeguard fluid is on sale at FCP Euro right now.

The following 3 users liked this post by ponderosajack:
bkjecu94 (02-23-2024), gmfain (02-23-2024), LR disco 5 (02-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change