Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transponder Mounting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transponder Mounting Problems

Has anyone had success finding where to mount transponders on the windshield?
We have one for our community gate and another for the tollway. We went to the dealer as we were told there is always a "sweet spot" in which you can mount these for use. Otherwise, the rain sensing windshield prevents the transponders from working.
Well, that didn't work either.
Our toll transponder works sometimes mounted right by the rear view window, but we can't find a way to get both to work all the time.
We don't want a front license plate frame on the car (our state doesn't have one) so that isn't an option.
Any suggestions?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:03 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the problem is not the rain sensor. The block to the transponder signal is from the metalized window UV coating combined with the windshield heating wires.

I have tried the fwd and back corner of the drivers windows with no success. Next trip, I am going to try the moon roof

Old 10-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

You could attach the front license plate one underneath / behind the front fender without needing a license plate. Just screw it into the plastic under tray / under the fender.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Are the new Rovers still supplied with Pilkington windshields? I've experimented for years and the best luck I've had was centering the transponder for tollways directly below the mirror mount. This has been the case for me on a Disco 2, 2006 Range Rover, and a 2006 LR3.

With regard to gated communities, I've seen issues with both the transponders and higher end vehicles, and in climates that include snow, plenty of issues with the bar code reader stickers that are used. I'm sure there is better technologies available, but most homeowners and HOA's already complain about dues...

Old 11-10-2017, 09:38 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owners manual specifically shows that these items should be mounted in the spots on either side of the mirror that do not have any wires or filters. Have not tried it yet but plan to over thanks giving when I have to drive over bridges in and out of San Fran.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 603 Likes on 364 Posts

I can only presume that the metallic windshield will be problematic for my V1 radar detector as well. We can thank Ford for this stupid metallic windshield technology.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I can only presume that the metallic windshield will be problematic for my V1 radar detector as well. We can thank Ford for this stupid metallic windshield technology.
What other solutions are available that reflects heat and decreases the load on the AC? I just had a new windshield installed on my LR3, company arrived, he started, and then he quickly stopped when he realized the windshield didn't have the heat reflective technology. He said I wouldn't be happy without it, and scheduled a new appt a few days later.

I don't think radar detectors, toll transponders, and gate openers are the highest priority for any manufacturer. With tolls, worst case they get my license plate and link that to my account. With gated communities, once in a while it acts up and I enter a code. With regard to radar detectors, I no longer use one. Not because I no longer exceed th speed limit, but because laser is much more popular and hard to detect until you've already been nailed.

I love the quality of windshields in Land Rovers, as they seem to take a pretty good beating of rock chips before finally cracking. 145K on my LR3, and I only recently installed its 3rd windshield since buying the car new. That's impressive, because in Colorado it's considered normal to replace windshields yearly for most vehicles, given the amount of gravel we like to use in the winter months.

The following users liked this post:
DavC (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
What other solutions are available that reflects heat and decreases the load on the AC? I just had a new windshield installed on my LR3, company arrived, he started, and then he quickly stopped when he realized the windshield didn't have the heat reflective technology. He said I wouldn't be happy without it, and scheduled a new appt a few days later.

I don't think radar detectors, toll transponders, and gate openers are the highest priority for any manufacturer. With tolls, worst case they get my license plate and link that to my account. With gated communities, once in a while it acts up and I enter a code. With regard to radar detectors, I no longer use one. Not because I no longer exceed th speed limit, but because laser is much more popular and hard to detect until you've already been nailed.

I love the quality of windshields in Land Rovers, as they seem to take a pretty good beating of rock chips before finally cracking. 145K on my LR3, and I only recently installed its 3rd windshield since buying the car new. That's impressive, because in Colorado it's considered normal to replace windshields yearly for most vehicles, given the amount of gravel we like to use in the winter months.
This. Good quality windshield vs an improvement in toll booth transponder? No brainer. Pilkington is great.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stuck our fastpass transponder on the moon roof, that worked.

The drivers and passenger side windows, and the top and bottom of the windshield did not.

HTH

Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 603 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPILOT

I'm not questioning the quality of OEM Pilkington windshields. I only use OEM replacement windshields. My issue is the switch from thin metal wires on the LR3 and LR4 to a full metallic layer on the D5. The toll transponder, laser and radar signals come through fine between the thin metal wires on my LR4 windshield. They won't on a D5 heated windshield. And you're right, get an ALP system if you want to be protected from laser.