New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pooling in rear passenger door.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 12:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water pooling in rear passenger door.

Has anyone else noticed water pooling in between the rear passenger door and the body in theirs, or am I a fluke? I forget to open this door for a while and notice a decent amount pooling from rain. You can see in the image where it typically collects.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gulfcoastrover
Has anyone else noticed water pooling in between the rear passenger door and the body in theirs, or am I a fluke? I forget to open this door for a while and notice a decent amount pooling from rain. You can see in the image where it typically collects.

Thanks.
Mine is getting water INSIDE the door, messing with the window motor etc. Wondering if others have this issue. Driving with the interior door panel removed now and I see water coming in while its raining.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:00 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you had the windscreen seal done?

We're in the PNW, it's rains a bit here. No issues.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:25 PM

No, only had it a few weeks. It's a 2018 with 19k miles on it. Came from FL. No signs of leaking in the front or near the windshield. I don't know if it was previously done.
I'm in Bothell/Mill Creek BTW

Old 12-19-2021, 11:18 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey I know Bothell! I'm split between Vancouver BC & Seattle. Yup, you know rain!

Call the folks at Lynnwood JLR & ask them about the windscreen seal recall or check the service history. The problem with water is tracing the source. Best of luck.

Originally Posted by ToolandDyeDesigns
No, only had it a few weeks. It's a 2018 with 19k miles on it. Came from FL. No signs of leaking in the front or near the windshield. I don't know if it was previously done.
I'm in Bothell/Mill Creek BTW

Old 12-19-2021, 11:23 PM

Will do, I haven't great things about them. I called them for something on 11/29 and was told they wouldn't be able to look at the car until January

Old 01-12-2022, 01:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello, have you been able to solve the problem with the water inlet? I have the same problem, today when opening the right rear door a large amount of water has fallen and I think it has also passed inside because the floor of the right rear passenger is wet . Excuse my language, I use the translator, Greetings from Spain.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:30 PM
6th Gear

Hi all,

I think I m a bit of an expert in this area. I wont bore you with the details, but I have have gone over the car eliminating every source of water leak.
First, make sure its not he leaky windscreen as put on every Disco 5 by the factory. How you do this? Well, if its an original windscreen, then its leaking.

Make sure you do these checks after a bit of rain.

Check if there is water under the rear (second row) seats. As this area is higher than the front, if it is wet under the carpet, then you know the issue is coming from the rear. To assess this area, take the door rubbers and step trims off and try to push your hand under the carpet. Worst case, unbolt the rear (second row) seats to gain access. You wont have to remove them.
If it is wet or damp under the second row seats, check if it is wet under the rear (3rd row) if fitted. If it is wet under either 2nd or 3rd row seats, then it is the sunroof drainage pipes. These pipes leave the rear of the sunroof and travel internally in the hood-lining and 'clip' in just above the rear wheel arches that allows the water to leave the car. If these become 'un-clipped' then the car will start to fill up with water whenever it rains. The water will eventually travel down to the drivers and passengers foot-well, as this is the natural slope of the car.
To rectify, you will need to take off the carpet and trim around the RHS battery area and LHS void area in the rear of the car. Easy to do.
Now feel or look for a rubber tube. It will be the only one there. (there maybe one for the battery breather as well, I cant remember). Below pics are the clip - and the area on the RHS around the battery. Both these photos are of the rear only.
This clip will need to be reattached. Use some good quality rubber glue for this.

If the rear is not wet, or you dont have a sunroof, then the next area to look at is the AC condenser around the the drivers and passengers foot-well.
To get to this, undo the front door rubber surround and step trims, similar to the rear.
Also remove the trim above the driver and passengers knee. 6mm or 7mm bolts from memory. Unplug the courtesy light in the process.
Pull the carpet away from the center (around bell-housing area) towards the outside of the car as best you can to try to see a rubber tube coming down in to some type of rubber clip that again attaches to the body of the car. This is not very long and it takes the water from the AC condenser to outside the vehicle. In my car these clips (both drivers and passengers side) had come slightly undone.
Its a bit of a pain in the **** to seen as well as get to. It seems like a good system it relies on soft rubber clips only.
Unfortunately I dont have any photos of the front area.

My car was one of the first Discos 5's produced and both my fronts had worked themself free, as well as 1 sunroof pipe. Maybe this is sign of things to come for all Disco 5's?
I took them all off, made sure they were dry, applied good rubber glue and clipped them all back in, never to move again.
Now you will need a week or three of no rain to dry the underside of the carpet out.

Good luck.

Clip where tube attached to body

Approx area near battery

Old 01-13-2022, 05:00 PM
6th Gear

Toolanddyedesign, that can only be the rubber trim on the outside between the window glass and the door panel.

Last edited by Disco Stue; 01-13-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the directions, I'll check everything because I'm getting a lot of water out of the footwell, greetings.

Quick Reply: Water pooling in rear passenger door.