New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look at on used Disco purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022 | 07:15 AM
|
4th Gear
Default What to look at on used Disco purchase?

Hi everyone, looking at a Discovery 5 this weekend. It's a 2017 HSE. Fuji white on the saddle brown interior. 79k miles, Land Rover certified pre-owned. Has air suspension, low range, etc. It's the 3.0 V6 supercharged. Are there any specifics to the Discovery 5 that I should check out? Any common known issues? I've had my LR3 for 12 years so I'm used to LRs (not getting rid of the LR3 thankfully!). Thanks!

Old 02-03-2022 | 09:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Check and see if any work has been done on the windshield within the service history. Known for leaks apparently. Also, the hood release cable will stretch. Not a bad fix and the front portion of the cable i found for $30. The grill just needed to be removed in order for it to be changed. I see where people will just zip tie in order to help if the cable is stretched. I decided to just replace it. Check the coolant inlet pipes as well. Older design that is known for issues on the LR4 platform. I went ahead and updated to the new design. Rear heater manifold and thermostat changed as well since I will was in there. Finally a friend who has a LR shop in Dallas mentioned he has had 3 early D5s come in lately with radiator issues. I checked mine and there was a pin hole leak at the bottom that became apparent after draining the radiator fluid. I guess the PO put something in there to stop the leak.
I got this 17 HSE Lux back in Dec after my LR4 was totaled by a underage driver. So far happy with it but like any Rover it loves attention. I did also change to a 12% reduction pulley on the SC and that seems to have helped with adding a little more power. I am still wondering if I did the right thing by replacing my D2 and Lr4 with the D5.

Old 02-03-2022 | 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Hey Donc98, can you post your stretched hood cable fix?

(sorry to hijack)

Old 02-03-2022 | 04:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 1979rover
Hey Donc98, can you post your stretched hood cable fix?

(sorry to hijack)
I went ahead and just replaced the cable. Not a bad job at all to do. The grill will need to be removed and then the cover to the radiator overflow tank. I got the part from Land Rover Lake Bluff and found out I could have just purchased the front cable to address the issue. The second picture you can see the part that holds the 2 cables together. Gently pry that apart and the cables will separate.
LR121817 - Release Cable - 2017-2020 Land Rover Discovery | LandRoverLakeBluff

Old 02-03-2022 | 07:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CMGRover
Hi everyone, looking at a Discovery 5 this weekend. It's a 2017 HSE. Fuji white on the saddle brown interior. 79k miles, Land Rover certified pre-owned. Has air suspension, low range, etc. It's the 3.0 V6 supercharged. Are there any specifics to the Discovery 5 that I should check out? Any common known issues? I've had my LR3 for 12 years so I'm used to LRs (not getting rid of the LR3 thankfully!). Thanks!
I'm surprised it's a CPO at that age and mileage. Are you sure it's not a prior CPO that's being resold with the remaining warranty? Big difference as if it's a CPO now they have to do the full CPO assessment, ensure brakes and tyres are relatively new etc. If it was a CPO a few years ago and still has a bit of the extended warranty left, then it's not a CPO, just has some coverage remaining

Think the points above are all the main ones to check. Would ensure all electrics work, pull codes to check nothing hidden. But if well maintained that's all good

Old 02-04-2022 | 07:12 AM
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BritCars
I'm surprised it's a CPO at that age and mileage. Are you sure it's not a prior CPO that's being resold with the remaining warranty? Big difference as if it's a CPO now they have to do the full CPO assessment, ensure brakes and tyres are relatively new etc. If it was a CPO a few years ago and still has a bit of the extended warranty left, then it's not a CPO, just has some coverage remaining

Think the points above are all the main ones to check. Would ensure all electrics work, pull codes to check nothing hidden. But if well maintained that's all good
I think you might be on to something - that one was also wrecked. I found one the same specs but with 64k miles and a clean carfax, so that's the front runner now.

Originally Posted by Donc98
Check and see if any work has been done on the windshield within the service history. Known for leaks apparently. Also, the hood release cable will stretch. Not a bad fix and the front portion of the cable i found for $30. The grill just needed to be removed in order for it to be changed. I see where people will just zip tie in order to help if the cable is stretched. I decided to just replace it. Check the coolant inlet pipes as well. Older design that is known for issues on the LR4 platform. I went ahead and updated to the new design. Rear heater manifold and thermostat changed as well since I will was in there. Finally a friend who has a LR shop in Dallas mentioned he has had 3 early D5s come in lately with radiator issues. I checked mine and there was a pin hole leak at the bottom that became apparent after draining the radiator fluid. I guess the PO put something in there to stop the leak.
I got this 17 HSE Lux back in Dec after my LR4 was totaled by a underage driver. So far happy with it but like any Rover it loves attention. I did also change to a 12% reduction pulley on the SC and that seems to have helped with adding a little more power. I am still wondering if I did the right thing by replacing my D2 and Lr4 with the D5.
Thanks so much! I'm looking at a different one now (same spec and colors actually, just 64k miles) and noticed it had two instances of having the windshield checked and exterior trim checked. So I'm guessing that's been addressed.

The following users liked this post:
Donc98 (02-04-2022)