Sponsored by:

What's the secret . . .??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default What's the secret . . .??

Hello all,

Hope my first post doesn't come across as a troll because that is absolutely NOT the case. If LandRover was trying 1/10th as hard to sell me a new Disco as I have been trying to buy one, we'd already have one in the garage. That is inherently where the problem lies . . .

After going through Touareg and Cayenne TDIs, I was looking forward to finally getting a Disco Diesel. I realize most folks rarely get them dirty but between living clear out in the sticks here in Kansas, still having a farming operation, and a cabin at 9000 ft in CO, we actually do go off road.

No doubt partly due to the ongoing problem stateside with diesel prices being higher and gas prices still relatively low, but mainly the just ZERO diesel marketing being done just like with the Touareg and Cayenne TDIs [Jeep GC diesel too for that matter] they are struggling to move them so there are deals to be had on leftover 17s but a $10K discount on their stock vehicle just means $10K off my trade allowance, currently a Q5 from its NADA trade value.

Also, I just really need a SE with 4 corner air, full size spare, and a few options but cannot get premium sound on the SE. So, I asked if the base Meridian could be upgraded to the 825 and better speakers at the dealer . . . NOPE! So, I asked if I bought the base sound system, do you work with any local audio shops to upgrade to anything aftermarket? Not only NOPE but that I would likely invalidate the warranty if I was to do that. They actually seem annoyed with questions . . .

So, I have tried to deal on a couple of HSEs with the 825W option and even a couple of less optioned HSE LUXs that include the 825 and again there are deals to be had on left over 17s but not that much of a deal considering they all generally have several hundred to several thousand miles on the clock and are now officially used. Again, even on these, $10K less for my Q5 than NADA says it's worth.

And I have tried 3 different dealers in 3 different states so it's not just my local dealer . . .

I'm at the point of just ordering a HSE with the 825 added and ONLY what I absolutely need, comes in about $72K MSRP but very little discount off MSRP to be had, even given it's a pre-sold unit. You would think no inventory or advertising costs would require less profit. And they still obviously don't want a perfectly good Audi Q5 Prestige, S-line with 55K on the clock for a trade even though it has extended warranty. I considered selling the Audi myself while the LR is being built which I may still do but the whole snobbish attitude of sales is frankly turning me off. Worried more what service is going to be like?

Actually seemed to **** one salesman off when he had a $10K discounted 17 with miles on it if there are any discounts on 18s to be had and I got this . . . "at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the ONLY reason that 17 is discounted at all is because it is a left over 17 with miles on it".

So, Is this just Life in LandRover Land?

All of these dealers are in the midwest. Should I try going further out toward the coasts? I assumed shipping costs would negate any possible savings doing that.

I just thought maybe I need stop talking to dealers and go to the folks that actually know from experience . . . sorry I'm starting on somewhat a sour note!

Thanks,
Garth

Last edited by canon_mutant; 04-04-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:10 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my interpretation of your experience I see two issues:

1) unavailability of an specifically optioned 2017 vehicle and/or the lack of discount when ordering such as a 2018 model
2) the trade in value of your Q5

i faced an an issue similar to your first issue when in October I started shopping for a new 2017 Diesel 5 seater with tow package, capability package and heated windshield. The 2017s were out of production by that point and I was only able to choose from stock vehicles. This meant that they were all more heavily optioned than I wanted in order to get the particular packages I wanted. It also meant the sales process dragged into November as they scoured the area and then further for a new vehicle. Then, something miraculous happened and LR started to offer discount programs on the D 5 for the first time. Our purchase fit the criteria and we ended up with ~6% off MSRP. My understanding is that my local dealer is not offering discounts on 2018s and doesn’t foresee them until year end at the earliest. Low production number combined with high demand create challenges like this.

We also faced trade-in challenges with them. In the end we couldn’t come to agreement so I sold my trade (2005 LR3) to CarMax for a fair price that more than covered the tax differential between trade and sale. This isn’t a LR issue, it’s a dealer appetite issue.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, kinda.

Problem 1:

There are actually still quite a few 17 diesels available and more 18s all the time. They are not selling. So they are offering like a $10K discount on left over 17s but just offering $10K less for my trade than its NADA trade value so no actual real discount is happening and no discounts to be had on 18s yet even though the 18 diesels aren’t moving either. With the same $10K less than NADA for my trade, they are effectively trying to get more than MSRP on the 18s if you have a trade.

I would understand this behavior if they were flying off the lot.

Problem 2:

If they don’t have what you want equipment wise, there is ZERO effort to try to get it. I am pretty sure they can turn a 380 Meridian into an 825 with amp and speakers (for a price) but NOPE and I’m also pretty sure a decent audio shop could modify the base system to make a great sound system out of it but NOPE that is going to void my warranty? One other 17 that would have worked had freakin pinch flat 22s on it and we go offroad so I asked if they could be swapped for 20s? NOPE! Well YOU can buy a 2nd set of wheels and tires for CA-CHING if YOU want to?

Then on the way out the door you always get the “if there’s anything at all we can do to earn your business please don’t hesitate to let us know”. You are literally not doing $hit to earn my business. That’s the problem. But I’ve seen it at 3 dealerships now.

I will run our Q5 by Carmax to see what they will offer so thanks for that but I suspect I am going to have to order an 18, pay MSRP period even on a presold unit, and I am going to have to sell our Q5 myself if I want to own a LandRover.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Why not take the 2017 with a $10k discount. That's real savings
Sell the Q5 to Carmax or equivalent - don't trade it at dealer. You should get a fair trade (not private sale) price for it. Then you're all set
That's not unusual for dealers. They don't want the Q5 as it will just go straight to auction anyway.

You can't swap the low amp age stereo for the 825. It's very complex - different amps, different speakers and has to be configured in the car CCF file. They tier modes like base, HSE and Lux to take different options deliberately and they won't break that. It's standard mode lineup for all manufacturers. Some folks on the LR4 and similarly on the jags have upgraded the base to premium sound down the road but it's very involved and complex, time consuming and you need someone who can program the CCF. While it won't void the whole car warranty, it you have electrical system issues they will likely not help you

It is frustrating that they won't 'deal' on a new 2018 even as you say with no inventory and carrying cost risks. But just the way they operate

Old 04-14-2018, 12:54 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, I have reluctantly decided to hold off perhaps a year to do this to see if this resale problem with our Q5 improves. Not sure if it is still related to the TDI scandal that has been resolved now or just that dealers are struggling to move diesels period which is why there are deals to be had on left over diesel RRs. I was going to go ahead and order one exactly as we want it [per below] and try to sell our Q5 myself and [as suggested] worst case just taking it down to Carmax if it doesn't sell? For the record, though, the Carmax offer was not any better than what Landrover offered and both were well below book. There are only [5] 2015 S-Line Q5s like ours nationwide on AutoTrader right now and they are priced from $35K to $47K [though I'm not sure what he's smoking]. Still, I'm only being offered $25K for it. It's worth at least $31K as a trade on KBB, $34K on Edmunds, and $37K on NADA as a clean trade in.

What we'd like. Have to dream a while longer . . .

Old 04-23-2018, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Not that I expect the OP to ever come back and report, but I think it's absurd to ask a dealership to become a used parts dealer just to earn one sale. Dealers are focused on buying and selling vehicles, not modifications and/or buying/reselling wheels, electronics, etc. NADA doesn't reflect local value last time I checked, so locally the LR dealer is focused on what it will bring at auction, that its it. NADA values mean nothing, auction prices mean everything to a local dealer.

Margins on new cars isn't as lucrative as many think, and in many cases they are the loss leader for the dealership. Money is made on used cars and service from my experience.

Last edited by COSPILOT; 04-23-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Um . . . After less than a month, the “OP” is still shopping. Sorry I am apparently too slow a shopper for some but I’ve been busy.

For the record, (less than a month ago anyway; I have not looked today) KBB was at $31K, Edmunds at $34K, and NADA is at $37K “clean trade in” for our Q5. There are currently 5, yes 5, 2015 Q5s with the S-line sport package on Autotrader nation wide retail priced from $34K to $47K (not sure what they are smoking but good luck at that price) yet I was offered a measly $25K not to mention ours is fully loaded, in about as good of condition as you will find, and has a transferable extended warranty. I have yet managed to get by Carmax to see what they will offer since the closest one is over an hour from here but I do still intend to do that.

If we become RR owners, I will likely just order one, now that I found a dealer that will give 3% off MSRP on a presold special order cash unit with no trade, and sell the Q5 myself while we are waiting. Extended warranty should make that a little easier. Going to have to drive a bit to get to the other dealership but I can do that for $2250. The local dealership is unfortunately more focused on paying for their new $50M+ facility.

And, BTW, it is my money, not yours . . . I have wanted a diesel Disco for many years but I will spend it when I get the deal I want or we have a really nice Audi to drive with an extended warranty.

3% off MSRP is certainly a reasonable start.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Um . . . After less than a month, the “OP” is still shopping. Sorry I am apparently too slow a shopper for some but I’ve been busy.

For the record, (less than a month ago anyway; I have not looked today) KBB was at $31K, Edmunds at $34K, and NADA is at $37K “clean trade in” for our Q5. There are currently 5, yes 5, 2015 Q5s with the S-line sport package on Autotrader nation wide retail priced from $34K to $47K (not sure what they are smoking but good luck at that price) yet I was offered a measly $25K not to mention ours is fully loaded, in about as good of condition as you will find, and has a transferable extended warranty. I have yet managed to get by Carmax to see what they will offer since the closest one is over an hour from here but I do still intend to do that.

If we become RR owners, I will likely just order one, now that I found a dealer that will give 3% off MSRP on a presold special order cash unit with no trade, and sell the Q5 myself while we are waiting. Extended warranty should make that a little easier. Going to have to drive a bit to get to the other dealership but I can do that for $2250. The local dealership is unfortunately more focused on paying for their new $50M+ facility.

And, BTW, it is my money, not yours . . . I have wanted a diesel Disco for many years but I will spend it when I get the deal I want or we have a really nice Audi to drive with an extended warranty.

3% off MSRP is certainly a reasonable start.
I think you are misunderstanding me.

I get it, you are emotionally attached to your Q5, but the dealer isn't. It's purely financial for them. Asking them to bend over backwards for a car isn't realistic. I don't care what you see online, and I'm assuming you looked at Edmunds, picked every option, picked the extra clean option. I'm an Audi fan, having owned a new one, but in certain markets Q5's are soft, in others maybe stronger. No idea about your market, but a dealer simply focuses on what he/she can get at auction, which as such, extended warranty, extra options, nobody cares about.

What I'm saying is that you want all the money for your Q5, which may or may not be reasonable. You can certainly sell it privately, but you lose out on the tax differential, which is something to keep in mind. A dealership will look at your car, and based on mileage and some options, price about 2K below what you see for trade in value, not retail price, and certainly not certified pre owned price that you see on Edmunds. That's from an Audi dealer, and doesn't help the Land Rover dealer.

Give me the year and mileage of your Q5 and I will tell you what I think you would get for trade in value.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Nor am I "emotionally attached" to our Q5. I'm nearly 60 and this will be our 10th new vehicle purchase between the wife and I over the last almost 28 years. I have done this before. You apparently don't get that I get what I want, for what I want to pay for it, cash, trade, or otherwise, or I don't get. Period. That is ALL this is. With all due respect, I don't care what you think it's worth. If we cannot rely on the historical book trade values that have ALWAYS been used in the past as well as the retail book values and that others are currently selling at for comparative data . . . what are we to do?

Naw, we got some guy named Vinnie out back that has a magic 8 ball he shakes . . . on Tuesdays and Thursdays when the moon is full . . . with all apologies to anyone named Vinnie!

Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Just looked. KBB [the lowest book value] still says it's worth $31K.

Quick Reply: What's the secret . . .??