Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Congrats on getting what you wanted coming

The following users liked this post:
kirkaig (08-24-2022)
Old 07-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My experience is that Land Rover dealerships don't want to be bothered with the trade-ins. Either they offer auction/scrap price or they believe they can sell them on the lot and offer a decent trade in. My guess is your car is somewhere in-between and they don't want to deal with your vehicle. Why don't you just private sale it if you are so certain you can get that amount for it? If that is what you expect on a trade-in, you should have private sale chomping at the bit. Have you seen what a place like CarMax will offer you for it?

I just picked up a 17 HSE Lux loaded with Diesel for $65k which I thought was a decent price. They gave me $5k trade-in on a 2008 CR-V with 100k miles. The effort is low because the inventory is low, it isn't like Toyota where I get a mailer every week asking me to trade-up.

Last edited by vulturez; 07-27-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, when I didn't get any return paperwork to sign today along with the deposit request amount, I emailed my salesman . . . no response, nothing. So I sent him a text on his cell and he said he never got my order pdf yesterday and, kinda glib about it, he said he was off today and the rest of the weekend, so he said would look into it on Monday. Well, the initial order pdf I sent is in my sent folder from fairly early yesterday morning. The magical electron gremlins apparently intercepted it . . .

So, I guess my order is NOT in process just yet after all . . .

Now that I am ordering one, I do intend to sell our Audi myself while the Disco is being built. As in my original post, our trade is a 2015 Audi Q5 3.0 S-line Prestige, fully loaded, and of course everyone thinks their car is in excellent condition but this car does not have a chip or ding anywhere on the paint, one small rock ding on one of the black grill slats that you have to be 6" away from to see, no curb rash on any of the wheels, no stains or rips or noticeable wear to the Nappa leather or carpeting, no problems to fix, [now] 57,000 miles, just had the 55K service, and 8/32 of tread left [not sure why a 1/4" isn't good enough but they always quote 32nds]. It did have some curb rash on one of the wheels about a year ago but I got it fixed. I've bought and sold 10 new trucks/cars in my nearly 60 years for the wife and I and if our trade is not in excellent condition it is certainly very good. Dealers as a matter of practice only quote fair condition trade allowances no matter what condition your car is in which means you get several thousand less than you would for excellent or very good. I suspect Carmax does the same. Which, unless you ALWAYS intend to sell your used vehicles yourself gives you absolutely NO incentive to take care of your stuff. Nor is there any incentive to have your car detailed before you take it in for the actual transaction.

So, ON MONDAY, when I find out for sure I actually do have an order in process, I will update accordingly. After being at this for 4 months, in my excitement, I guess I had a case of premature orderation? Since we are Royals fans, the way this year is going, thinking about baseball did NOT help . . .

Last edited by canon_mutant; 07-27-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, way to go Freddie! He came in on his day off to make sure my order got entered today. Their office won't send me the paperwork or take my deposit until Monday but he did his part at least.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I was going to say... man that seems like a weak salesman. Glad you got your order in, and yeah I see why you are upset at the trade-in that is a nice vehicle and fairly new. Plus it is a make that I do see on used Land Rover lots (not like my Honda). My experience on trade-ins has been from the mentality that they are doing you a favor. Go private sale you will get much more and due to the car not being that old you shouldn't have to deal with him trying to come back telling you something is broken.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:05 AM
Rock Crawling

Finally got the paperwork. Price is not what we agreed to. Though I intend to sell our Audi myself while the Disco is being built, the fallback trade value is $24K only good until 8/31 [we were talking $26K] and the Disco doesn't arrive until mid-Oct. Fortunately no money had changed hands yet. I swear, I have never worked so hard to NOT buy a vehicle in my life. Deal is OFF at Omaha.

Some good news is I just found a unit in Dallas though. Left over 2018. Has more equipment than we need but being model year end I think I can get it about $6K off. Of course, depending on trade value as this would require immediately swapping the Audi. Find out later today. If I had a place to put it, I might consider a lease while I am selling the Audi, but I don't so we'll have to come to trade in terms.

If that doesn't work, I am trying one more time at an order through my local dealership, then I will reluctantly have to surrender. Which is fine. Our Audi still has plenty of life. I just REALLY want a diesel RR.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Which dealer in Dallas? I'm located here and found LR Frisco/Dallas to be very stubborn with pricing.

I, too, wanted a diesel with Terrain Response 2. Ended up finding a '17 demo in Cinn, OH for nearly $10k off. This was back in Jan.

If you get it, shoot me a PM and I'll help however I can.

T-

Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, someone else was apparently waiting for the exact same Discovery. It showed up Saturday on their website [or that's when I noticed it and have been looking regularly] and it is gone already today.

So, on the 2017 front, there are some amazing deals to be had on leftover 17s. Last time I checked there were like more than 200 left nation wide. I thought about a leftover 17 early on but two things: 1) We'd be going from a 15 to a 17 which 15 to 19 makes more sense and 2) first year gremlins and problems risks (why have so many not sold)? But lots of $75K for only $60K deals for sure.

How has yours been treating you?

Anyway, next time I'm in town, I'm going to make one more try at the local dealer to order a 19.

Then will likely just drive the Audi another year and try again . . .

Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I was a little hesitant buying a '17 in 2018. I, too was coming out of a 2015 (Jeep GC). One nice thing is that it gets you ahead of the mileage curve. I've driven the crap out of it and it still technically has low miles for a '17 due to when I purchased it.

That said, I've really enjoyed this Disco. Since early Feb. I've made the deliver trip from Cincinnati to Dallas and 4 trips from Dallas to SC/GA with one more planned in a couple of weeks and racked up about 15k miles. It really is amazing on long trips.

The hiccups I've had are minimal.
-first trip to Savannah the CEL came on outside of Shreveport. A quick hour long detour to their LR dealer replaced a sensor. No problems since.
-Being a diesel, I get the cold engine mis-fire/stumble occasionally. It never stalls, but JLR doesn't have a solve yet.

I just took it in for service and a handful of warranty items:
-hood release wasn't working properly.
-software updates
-fog light loose in housing
-second row seat release not working properly

Of all of these, the last one (second row seat release) has caused it to be in the shop for over two weeks. Why? because they replaced the latch, but also determined they needed to replace the seat frame which has to come from the UK. The dealer has been very communicative as well as accommodating with their loaner, even giving me a full sized Disco when I needed to move one of my kids to school.

While I was never a fan of the buying process, none of these has dampend my enthusiasm for the truck.

Last edited by 1979rover; 08-07-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Have to take the Audi by the dealer tomorrow to get a P0133 code [O2 sensor] addressed so I am going to go into the Landrover building while there and try to talk 2019 with them. Trying to talk 2018 was not fruitful 3 months ago but I understand they have a new sales manager.

Quick Reply: What's the secret . . .??