New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the secret . . .??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

All the press releases I saw stated Discovery, not the Discovery Sport.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44438846

Not sure what the final transition plan was/is. Seemed like the plan was to have a gradual cutover, but haven't seen any specific updates.

My 2019 that was delivered end of October still states final assembly Solihull, UK

Last edited by andries; 03-02-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I had to drive to Wichita today for other reasons so I stopped by the dealership to ask WTF? I finally got their printout for our Disco that only has the completed phases on it but it is actually built and on the boat. They just moved the ETA to 3/31 even though it may not take that long to get here. Interesting and somewhat disconcerting that it started production 11/20 but did not complete until 1/22 but it is at least complete. They were either line down for nearly 2 months over a quality problem or a parts problem?

Now, anyone believe this? Place your bets. Place your bets. But I do feel better about it than I did though . . . and I did verify that it IS coming out of the UK.

And, hey, I did at least see a printout of my order number with all the bubbles filled up to "shipped" which they said it is on the boat once the "delivered to marketing" bubble is filled. The "shipped" bubble won't fill until it arrives in the "port of entry".

I did say I did not appreciate the no response nonsense when I asked for specifics but, after they responded just moving the goal posts another month, they thought that's all I needed to know and then gave me a sob story about some guy that ordered an AutoBiography that got moved from now to August.

Last edited by canon_mutant; 03-07-2019 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling

You guys/gals? might wanna sit down for this . . .

Our Discovery is supposedly through customs, out of port, and on a truck to Wichita, Kansas.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (03-28-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Post pix when you get it.
Then use it to go out for a nice celebration!!!!

The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:03 AM
Rock Crawling

It arrived today in Wichita . . .

Won't be ready to transact until Mon-Tue but going to go see it tomorrow. XL tires are on the way to the dealer.

275/55/20 Nitto Dura Grapplers have a $80+$50 special at Discount Tire [all Nittos do for anyone looking?] $578 shipped

They agreed to do an exchange with what comes on it. Of course, the devil can sometimes be in the details so don't be surprised if I have a new set of 255/55/20 Goodyear or Pirelli SL street tires for sale soon?

Old 03-28-2019, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Old 03-30-2019, 02:16 AM
Rock Crawling

I agree . . . and then I go to see our new D5 . . . without my phone? Almost as bad as driving to town today . . . without my wallet?

It is amazingly beautiful. That really light gray "Glacier" with the gloss black oak (arkansas ~ Jim Dandy to the Rescue?) trim looks WAY better than I even hoped. It is SO hard when you order something the dealer does not have "in a vehicle" to picture how it is going to look from a tiny swatch? Now, I might have actually liked the "vintage tan" even better but this is the wife's primary and she thought that looked like a basketball which is kinda sorta true I guess but I still liked it. This will be fine though.

But, we don't pick it up until Monday so a little more patience is required. It is actually still a secret that it's even here [to the wife] so no one tell her OK? She knows I ordered one last August after we test drove one but I think even she had decided it was never going to actually get here.

I'm thinking she will be pleased . . . I'm going to take her to lunch Monday and SURPRISE!

So, I need all of your cooperation here for just a few more days, OK?

I got my "tars" today though . . .

Um, they were SUPPOSED to go to the dealer! Found them lying here in the rain when I got home.

FORTUNATELY, the wife is gone for 2 days to a UMW quarterly so it did NOT ruin the surprise. I'm going to run them into the dealer tomorrow before she gets home. My salesman is sure they can get them on Monday morning.

And, then I just realized tonight maybe I should have gotten 5? I do have the full size spare and these are .9 bigger. All in favor say AYE?

Last edited by canon_mutant; 03-30-2019 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, dealer refused to put my 275/55/20s on. Said they would invalidate my warranty. Well, my BS meter went to FULL TILT so I asked my sales dude to escalate. After being off Friday, my wife could not leave "for lunch with hubby (nod nod wink wink)" to go get her SURPRISE today anyway. The escalation (if it even happened) did not work. They won't do it . . . Anyone else hear this?

My sales dude is off on Tuesdays and this dealer is all self service with each sales associate doing everything (he even does the business side - no business/finance office), so I HOPE we are getting our Rover Wed now but it will be with the stock Pirellis. I need to order a 5th 275/55 anyway for the spare (my bad) so I'll just have to add the Dura Grapplers myself later . . . NO, LET ME GET IT! (Sam Kinison RIP)

I guess the only good news today is I discussed a few options and I think it makes more sense for us to do the "smart lease" thing for 3 years. Not sure what is "smart" about it other than our payments will actually go down $100/mth from our Audi and, after 3 years, if the wife does not like the vehicle, I don't, I am dead (which could actually happen - let's hope not?), a meteor hits, my wife can just go hand them the keys without worrying about selling a Landrover. But, if we do want to keep it, we just have to pay off or finance the residual in 3 years.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Well, dealer refused to put my 275/55/20s on. Said they would invalidate my warranty. Well, my BS meter went to FULL TILT so I asked my sales dude to escalate. After being off Friday, my wife could not leave "for lunch with hubby (nod nod wink wink)" to go get her SURPRISE today anyway. The escalation (if it even happened) did not work. They won't do it . . . Anyone else hear this?

My sales dude is off on Tuesdays and this dealer is all self service with each sales associate doing everything (he even does the business side - no business/finance office), so I HOPE we are getting our Rover Wed now but it will be with the stock Pirellis. I need to order a 5th 275/55 anyway for the spare (my bad) so I'll just have to add the Dura Grapplers myself later . . . NO, LET ME GET IT! (Sam Kinison RIP)

I guess the only good news today is I discussed a few options and I think it makes more sense for us to do the "smart lease" thing for 3 years. Not sure what is "smart" about it other than our payments will actually go down $100/mth from our Audi and, after 3 years, if the wife does not like the vehicle, I don't, I am dead (which could actually happen - let's hope not?), a meteor hits, my wife can just go hand them the keys without worrying about selling a Landrover. But, if we do want to keep it, we just have to pay off or finance the residual in 3 years.
That sure sounds like 100% BS. Still, easy enough to have a local independent mount them for you. Sounds like this dealer is a real piece of work.

Agreed on the lease. With the well-earned reliability concerns, I don't think I'd ever buy one. That said, and like you said, if after 3 years all is well, you can always buy it.

Quick Reply: What's the secret . . .??