New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes - I chipped my Td6

Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Scheduling a tune add and removal are exactly why I did not go that route. I can remove the box in 5 minutes at home. It may not be as "tuned", but it is noticeable (see above) and works flawlessly and tested out with similar torque and slightly less HP. Since your ECU tune is not in place I'd surmise that the ECU tune is not nearly as good as the chip tune which I have been running for several months and installed at home. Shift point changes slightly (100-200 rpm) when under full acceleration. Fuel economy is steady at an overall average of 25mpg after 20,000 miles - no difference before and after tune, just faster. Auto start and stop functions as if from the factory - no change. Overall still very happy and working flawlessly. I'd highly recommend the Chip Express unit for half the price of the Velocity AP and none of the headaches and re-flash trips for factory service.

The following 2 users liked this post by Black 18 Disco:
canon_mutant (06-12-2019), DeafCat (03-09-2024)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 18 Disco
Scheduling a tune add and removal are exactly why I did not go that route. I can remove the box in 5 minutes at home. It may not be as "tuned", but it is noticeable (see above) and works flawlessly and tested out with similar torque and slightly less HP. Since your ECU tune is not in place I'd surmise that the ECU tune is not nearly as good as the chip tune which I have been running for several months and installed at home. Shift point changes slightly (100-200 rpm) when under full acceleration. Fuel economy is steady at an overall average of 25mpg after 20,000 miles - no difference before and after tune, just faster. Auto start and stop functions as if from the factory - no change. Overall still very happy and working flawlessly. I'd highly recommend the Chip Express unit for half the price of the Velocity AP and none of the headaches and re-flash trips for factory service.
Modes the tune give you the option to delete start stop? That’s a horrible feature for a diesel. Any idea what your HP and TQ numbers are now?

Old 06-25-2019, 12:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Switch in the vehicle turns off start stop function - NBD. After 20,000 miles doesn't seem to be causing a problem but I don't do a lot of start and stop driving in traffic - what has your first hand experience been? If it was stop and go, the Si6 would have been a better choice. Numbers are posted on the Chip Express website - take a look. I based my evaluation on before and after testing (real world) that I provided at the start of this post. When you install your tune, throw it on a dyno (before and after ) to get some results and post them. They would be more valuable than estimates from a tuner.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling

I live in Houston so lots of stop and go but that’s where the efficiency of a diesel really kicks in. I average 24.7 mpg in the city. Right now I turn off the start stop but it should have never been an option to start with for a diesel. The only issue with a diesel in the city is the regen but I get on the hwy plenty.

Chipexoress has some real leeway in their numbers with their “power after” and “power max” numbers. I’m not sure what to trust. Have you cranked it all the way up yet?

Old 08-22-2019, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Update

I have not adjusted the tune to the more robust settings, but will likely do so in the coming months and will provide an update. The reported numbers from Chip Express do vary and without significant dyno testing, are difficult to verify. I chose to baseline the performance and report on the improvements via real world tests. Likewise, the reported numbers from other vendors are difficult to verify. I'm very happy with the performance improvement thus far - totally worth the expense for the Chip Express unit. Look for an update this Fall. Has anyone else baselined, installed, and tested another module for performance enhancement?

The following users liked this post:
1979rover (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling

I’ve ordered a piggyback box from TDI-tune. I liked their system. Installs under the hood and acts like it’s own ECU. Controllable via Bluetooth. Get home in a week and should have it then will do some testing. They seem pretty reputable.

1979rover (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If I find out BlueSpark's Pro model works with the "American" TD6, I may go ahead and order it. Figure the more the merrier? We can all compare results. I used their 3.0TDI model on both my Pepper and then the wife's Q5 and was pleased. About a full second off 0-60 with better mpg.

1979rover (08-23-2019)
Old 01-10-2020, 04:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to you all,

I suppose you still have the chip express, are you still happy with it, recommend it?

was going to order the SD6 (sequential turbo, 306HP, 700Nm) here in Europe, but as we are moving to Tanzania, can't take it with because of diesel quality over there, and in Africa it's a TD6 (single turbo, 256Hp, 600Nm).
I suppose that's the same you have in the States.
Not sure if Tanzanian roads can use a tuned car, will see once I'm there, but interested to hear your "long"-term experiences.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by labbix
Hi to you all,

I suppose you still have the chip express, are you still happy with it, recommend it?

was going to order the SD6 (sequential turbo, 306HP, 700Nm) here in Europe, but as we are moving to Tanzania, can't take it with because of diesel quality over there, and in Africa it's a TD6 (single turbo, 256Hp, 600Nm).
I suppose that's the same you have in the States.
Not sure if Tanzanian roads can use a tuned car, will see once I'm there, but interested to hear your "long"-term experiences.
i just spent a month in Tanzania. Your vehicle better be able to handle fillings getting knocked out of your teeth

Old 01-13-2020, 07:23 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That’s what I thought as well, luckily we were already informed there is a good dentist in Dar es Salaam! Am more interested in the extra torque than speed anyway, but probably not really helpful over there. Maybe I should consider a pedalbox instead, cheaper and always useful for less lag!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yes - I chipped my Td6