New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

1st time LR owner and my list of problems and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st time LR owner and my list of problems and solutions

Hi everybody!

I've owned my 2006 LR3 HSE 4.4 Bonatti Grey for just over a year now.
It's been the greatest vehicle I've ever owned that has been a pain in my butt since day 1.
I'm addicted to its awesomeness, yet it stresses me out on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.

I'd like to explain I've never been a car/car repair guy before. The LR3 has slightly changed that. I'm no expert or maybe even novice.

I love driving my tank with its rigid steering (no traffic cone test please) and premium gas guzzling all time 4X4.
Somehow it's always been my dream to drive a 7500lb box shaped computer everywhere and anywhere I please...and I didn't even know it!

I've had awesome off road experiences with my LR3. I've had some not so awesome on road experiences.
My LR3 came with coil suspension replacement by the previous owner. It's raised to 9.5" clearance.
My buddy expressed himself in mud rut setting, low gear, uphill struggle while sitting in the passenger experience as: "it's like being on a roller coaster track uphill...click...click...click"

I got lucky on the purchase of my LR. A Dr. was dumping it off cause he heard some banging noise and he was tired of bringing it to the dealership. He gave me a smoking deal to take it off his frustrated hands. I bought my 2006 in 2017 with only 136000km. Since then I've been counting on forums and youtube to save me $.
Banging noise ended up being a stripped spare tire winch, leaving the spare hanging a few inches low.
#1 First LR purchase - Spare tire winch. I believe it was $80ish CAD

Shortly after purchase (expecting some issues and $ to put in) I had my first major issue which was the wheel hub. Should have listened to my buddy (if one goes, most likely both are due) Long story short (after a few off road adventures)
#2 LR purchase - Both front wheel hubs $600ish CAD

So...it seems the LR3 wasn't meant to be driven fast. Since owning my LR3 I don't feel the need to drive fast really...just something about cruising in that tank with the 12 speakers bumping my old school classic rock. I rarely get road rage anymore either...no one tries to cut off a tank!
Problem #1 when driving fast:
I was doing about 120km down the highway and my EPB (electronic parking brake) engaged all by itself! Immediate pull over as I felt the whole rear end shaking. Luckily I was at an exit ramp and able to (with help) push it down into (luckily again) my friend's driveway at bottom of off ramp. I had to leave it there over night while researching the web frantically.
Apparently the EPB is on the passenger side rear wheel, which the rotor was red hot and nearly smoking (I stopped right away which caused no damage)
I read some forums on this issue. After hours of research I found out about manually releasing the EPB. I removed covers next to gear shift, found the wire loop and tugged it with the hook tool provided in the Land Rover tool bag (located in rear passenger side in trunk area) and voila!
I haven't had an issue with this since and I make sure to activate/deactivate the EPB about once a month to try and keep it active.
Cost $0
Second issue I had while going 120km:
I had to pick my buddy up at the airport in Toronto (5hr drive) I wasn't in a rush to get there, but on the way back...
After a an hour or so on cruise control I let it off cc to hit our exit ramp...I lost all power to my gas pedal after releasing cruise control. I could stomp on pedal to the floor and I'd be going all but 5kmph! Got an error code right away (engine light) Limped her at 5k to the gas station at the exit. Had her towed rest of way home.
I put her on the OBDII and it read something with the throttle body. Youtube video revealed throttle body cleaning. I removed air intake hose, sprayed some cleaner in the throttle body and scrubbed with a old toothbrush. Good as new.
Cost $0

I took her in for an oil change. Mechanic reported a coolant leak. I couldn't see anything wrong. A few weeks later my temp gauge was running low. Upon inspection, I found a leak in the thermostat housing. Thermostat itself was all buggered too, seals were worn and cracked.
#3 LR purchase - Thermostat and housing. Approx $45 CAD

All this work under the hood and what's next? the hood won't close!? wtf!?
So my latch and bonnet are working...sometimes. Taking me 10-15 tries to get hood closed. Tried moving the bonnet by 1mm or 2. Frustrating.
After months...found that the coil spring on the driver side bonnet wasn't returning to position. Simple fix...push it back into position with a screwdriver.
I have an original hood latch sensor which I've read has been a bitch for other owners with the alarm triggering. I've had limited issues with this.
I plan on ordering a new latch with upgraded recall sensor and then switching my passenger side latch bonnet with my faulty drivers side and having upgraded hood latch sensor and working coil spring (latch bonnets are interchangeable)
Cost - $38 CAD - Yet to buy

My steering wheel was not returning to proper position through the power steering. Steering was noticeably even more rigid than regular LR steering!
More research led to the lower steering shaft which upon removal and replacement was not moving freely.
This was a big one I could not tackle through watching videos. I needed professional help.
#4 LR purchase - Lower steering shaft - $350 CAD + (luckily from a friend) $100 labour (and some beers)

I've had all the warnings I've seen posted in these forums:
Cruise control not available: Solved by having the wrong voltage tail light bulbs
HDC not available: usually a voltage issue. Battery low charge ( I now trickle charge battery once every few months)
Special programs not available: same issue as above
Reduced engine performance: Same issue as above...again

My newest issue is not starting...sigh
Stuttering to start. Taking 2-15 tries to start.
Of course I replaced battery without reading forums since it was free (battery under warranty) and had no effect to issue.
My thoughts on this issue initially were a parasitic drain. I tried hunting mode, manual lights, removing everything from ac ports, making sure radio, AC, and fridge were all off.
I have just read about possible water leak damage to ground wires to starter/alternator as an issue and will be kept busy with that over next few days. Amongst possible starter issues? even drain clogs from sunroof? oh my!

I'm a busy family man and I don't have time for this malarkey!
My family is an outdoorsy type family though and this vehicle is perfect for us. I've driven up sand dunes and across beaches. Uphill in sand and through mud ruts and across bush lands for deer extractions. I've also extracted hundreds of dollars of goods from Costco and materials from Home Depot. I've towed trailers and moved homes in my LR3!

It's the costs and time this vehicle that takes that makes it so rewarding?
I can't imagine my life without my LR3 now...but how do I stay sane in keeping it going?

With hopes of another and not giving up for another 300,000km.

Thanks for reading,
TML16

Old 07-05-2018, 03:15 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Welcome! You should probably post this in the LR3 forum also!!

Old 07-06-2018, 01:39 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do. Thanks for reading.