New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

2013 Range Rover Sport 61,000 miles supercharge engine complete failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 01:37 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Range Rover Sport 61,000 miles supercharge engine complete failure

My 2013 Range Rover Sport was rectified by Land Rover of Seattle in 2015 with 21,000 miles on it. We have followed Land Rovers maintenance schedule and repairs every time we took it to a certified shop. We have had the vehicle with no major issues until last month when the engine had a complete failure going 35 MPH on a typical road. We had Land Rover of Portland run a scope in the engine and confirmed that all 8 cylinders failed and there is no explanation why. The timing chain is still intact and the best explanation I have been giving is that "it must have jumped timing", but the Land Rover mechanic doesn't know how that would be possible. I asked Land Rover of Portland for a quote to replace the engine and the cost for the engine was $26,000 an additional $7000 for labor. I contacted an independent Land Rover mechanic to confirm pricing. What the independent Land Rover mechanic found out is that there is only 1 supercharged engine in the United States that will fit my vehical, that is why the cost of the engine is so much. We could order a rebuilt engine for $12,000 but it would be from an engine that has obviously already had major failures. At this point Land Rover is essentially terminating my vehicle altogether at 61,000 miles by holding the one remaining engine hostage. We willing paid a premium for this vehicle as it was a luxury machine with incredible power. If the manufacture will not stand by their engine for more than 61,000 miles I don't think the product they are trying to sell as luxury will ever be worth the cost. We paid $55,000 for a certified Range Rover Sport and got 40,000 miles out of it prior to the engine failure.

I spoke with my friend that also owned a 2015 Land Rover Sport with a supercharged engine and they had a complete engine failure 2 years into owning their vehicle. Their Rover was still under factory warranty so it was replaced. I don't have a problem with the engine blowing I have an issue with the Range Rover Brand, the Supercharged engine, and lack of any information about why and the engine would fail going 35 MPH and all of the steering, breaks, and safety system locked up while driving. Had my wife been on the freeway there would have been no way for her to control the vehicle at 65 or 70 MPH and most likely would have ended in a fatality for my wife and anyone else around the Range Rover as she would not have been able to steer or brake. I'm hopeful Land Rover will make the situation right but it is not looking good as it's been a month and we still have not made much progress on the case. We have been incredibly loyal to the Land Rover brand and are do for another new car in 2 years when our teen is ready to drive. I would hate to be the guy telling his story in the clubhouse about why I was forced to switch to a Mercedes with an AMG kit. Any advice or help that people can provide please do so.