New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

98 discovery LE - Buy or Pass

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 98 discovery LE - Buy or Pass

I have been a British car buff for years (TR2, Jaguars, Daimlers) but am just now considering a 1998 Discovery Le with 170,000 miles.

I checked it out yesterday; black LE with worn tan leather seats, dirty interior, and cracked windscreen. I read the codes and there were 10; 1 oxygen sensor current high, 3 no DTC definition found, and 4 misfire detected on cylinders 7. 4. and 3 plus a random multiple misfire, and one insufficient coolant temp for closed loop control.

I got all the windows to go up and down, but the front sun roof doesn’t move and the rear sunroof opened and closed once and then would not move again. The left mirror goes up and down but not in and out, the right mirror glass is gone, and various switches like the cruise control have broken plastic parts, and one of the headlight washer stalks is broken off. It does have the rear jump seats. a push down step under the rear bumper, and the rear spare tire mounted on the tailgate door with no cover.

My brother-in-law said the fellow he bought it from for $400 (intending to scrap it) said the transfer case had been replaced/rebuilt just before he got it and the transmission either slips when warm or doesn’t shift right - bro-in-law didn't remember which - and the guy had several other discoveries he was working on and just didn't want to mess with it. I drove it around his yard a little and could not shift the transfer case out of what I assume was high, but I hadn't read the on-line owners manual yet. I did have the auto trans in neutral and probably stepped on the brake, but didn't get it to move fore and aft or side to side. There was no tachometer or speedometer reading.

Bro-in-law wants $700 for it delivered to my door. I did some more research and found the P1313, 14, and 16 which my code reader said are "no DTC definition found" are related to excess emissions and possible catalyst damage on banks A and B - probably related to the misfire codes. The misfire codes are probably caused by bad spark plugs or wires, the oxygen sensor code is an open circuit on one upstream heater, but the code reader's fixes said one of the DTC definition code fixes was to replace the crank position sensor.

I rather liked the overall design, although it needs a lot of cosmetic TLC. Any thoughts?