New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

About ready to dive in on a Disco 1 or 2!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default About ready to dive in on a Disco 1 or 2!

I’ve posted a couple times up here for some info to help with the search for my first Discovery, so I figured I should post here as an introduction. Eastern NC guy here, been on and off the fence for a few years now on getting a disco as a secondary camping/off-roading vehicle. Seems like an absolute wrath of knowledge here and I look forward to contributing once I finalize a purchase!

Whats everyone’s take me on the whole Discovery 1 versus 2? I keep seeing some D1’s modded out (engine work, lift, tires, safari rack, etc) that are close in price as bone stock D2’s that have minor issues.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

It comes down to preference but for me a early D1 with a 5spd and no sunroofs would be the right ride

Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
It comes down to preference but for me a early D1 with a 5spd and no sunroofs would be the right ride
Wow, now I haven’t ran across any 5 speed D1’s. But there is something about the simplicity of the D1’s that are appealing. But are they significantly smaller than D2s?

Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Wheel base is identical between the two. D2 picks up 7" in overall length.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:55 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a D2 without sunroofs and am am glad every time I read a post about leaks.

Welcome!

Old 01-31-2019, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stillruns
That's L322 money no way lol

Old 01-31-2019, 08:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

It's kinda hard to give a suggestion since we don't know what you're going for. If you're prepared to do a restoration, you can get either one cheap and anything can be fixed with deep enough pockets and time. If you're looking for something already well sorted, be prepared to pay for it, and know what you're looking at. If you're asking for a comparison btwn the 2 models, the biggest difference is that D2's have traction control, but only the 04's have a locking center diff. You can retrofit a CDL to earlier D2's which is highly recommended. All D1's have a CDL, but no traction control.

Just don't expect to pick up something that seems affordable and expect it to be trouble-free. The average craigslist offerings will need at least partial restoration since the newest D2's are 15 years old. Many of us are driving "rolling restorations". Good luck in your search.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wjsj69
It's kinda hard to give a suggestion since we don't know what you're going for. If you're prepared to do a restoration, you can get either one cheap and anything can be fixed with deep enough pockets and time. If you're looking for something already well sorted, be prepared to pay for it, and know what you're looking at. If you're asking for a comparison btwn the 2 models, the biggest difference is that D2's have traction control, but only the 04's have a locking center diff. You can retrofit a CDL to earlier D2's which is highly recommended. All D1's have a CDL, but no traction control.

Just don't expect to pick up something that seems affordable and expect it to be trouble-free. The average craigslist offerings will need at least partial restoration since the newest D2's are 15 years old. Many of us are driving "rolling restorations". Good luck in your search.
Thanks! I am completely open to a bit of a “project rig”.. So not looking for anything perfect out the gate. I enjoy fixing things myself and even if I don’t know how to fix a certain thing I don’t mind spending a few hours worth of research trying to figure it out!

So the D1 has center diff lock and most D2s only rely on traction control.. would let the center diff lock in the D1’s be better than the traction control in the D2s?
Also, with regard to D1 vs D2, would the D1’s be a little more reliable/easy to fix since they probably
dont have as many electronics/gadgets?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

The D2 I have without sunroofs likes to leak thru the rear cargo door lol..... Took me a lot of tinkering to stop it, but I finally won lol.

Quick Reply: About ready to dive in on a Disco 1 or 2!