New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

About ready to dive in on a Disco 1 or 2!

Old 02-03-2019, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Twangin

Thanks! I am completely open to a bit of a “project rig”.. So not looking for anything perfect out the gate. I enjoy fixing things myself and even if I don’t know how to fix a certain thing I don’t mind spending a few hours worth of research trying to figure it out!

So the D1 has center diff lock and most D2s only rely on traction control.. would let the center diff lock in the D1’s be better than the traction control in the D2s?
Also, with regard to D1 vs D2, would the D1’s be a little more reliable/easy to fix since they probably
dont have as many electronics/gadgets?
Again, the answers to yr questions depend on what yr going for; I have a D2 that I added a center diff lock to bc I'm not putting lockers in my rears and wanted tc. If you're gonna add a rear locker or 2, a D1 might be for u. If it's gotta be one or the other, debatable but I'd pick center diff lock.
D1's will generally have more rust in the bodies unless from the south or west. D2's; look at the frames closely for rust.
As far as electrical; probably just a matter of familiarity; D1's use a Lucas system which has been known as the prince of darkness. D2's use Bosch which can also be maddening at times.
You can be happy with either. The more research u do, the more clear it will become. good luck.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently messaging back and forth with two sellers:

1) 02’ D2, 170k miles, salvage title (due to bad transmission), transmission replaced, could use a new rear bumper, drivers seat in rough condition, SRS light on in the dash, $2500 OBO

2) 97’ D1, 180k miles, one owner, garage kept, cosmetically in excellent condition. Headliner needs replaced, “suspension may need work” as quoted by the seller. $2500 OBO

Getting some more information from both sellers but I find it funny they’re both $2500. First thoughts?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Each one is about $1,500 too much.

170k and 180k miles, new transmission (who knows if it was done right), both “need” this and that. At that mileage you are going to have issues that WILL COST MONEY.

Find one that doesn’t have sunroofs and save yourself some major headaches.

If if I had to pick between the two mentioned I would get the D1, but not at $2,500. You really need to know the condition inside and out. Get photos of the frame, engine area, dash area. What is the most you want to spend.?

Old 02-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stillruns
Each one is about $1,500 too much.

170k and 180k miles, new transmission (who knows if it was done right), both “need” this and that. At that mileage you are going to have issues that WILL COST MONEY.

Find one that doesn’t have sunroofs and save yourself some major headaches.

If if I had to pick between the two mentioned I would get the D1, but not at $2,500. You really need to know the condition inside and out. Get photos of the frame, engine area, dash area. What is the most you want to spend.?
My thoughts exactly on being $1500 overpriced and I’d never pay that much for these particular D’s. My goal is $1500 tops.

After some info from the guy on the D1 I’m staying far away from that one (suspension issues, leaks oil, loud thud when turneing.. the list goes on).

As as for the D2, the transmission replacement is the main thing that makes me hesitant. It’s definitely a gamble as to whether it t was done correctly... but isn’t this whole ordeal (buying 15-20 year old Land Rover Discovery’s) a gamble?? Haha

Old 02-23-2019, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

If the D2 shifts properly = it was done right lol. Probably had the front drive shaft die & take out the original transmission. All I can say on buying a cheap LR is that sometimes you get what you pay for. I've personally owned nearly 20 D1/D2's and out of all of those 2 were under 2K and the only reason was because I bought them from friends. The rest I've bought off of CL and I paid around 4,500.00 to 5,000.00 (depending on the year and how it was setup or the model). The one's I paid a decent amount for needed nothing but a new owner and I was able to just jump in them and enjoy them vs deal with a bunch of stuff to fix.

The 2 I got cheap = 1 just needed a new battery & and alternator! The rest was perfect, and the second needed a new transfer case, tons of interior/exterior bits, the engine, cooling system, and drive-line needed serious TLC. It's really just up to you and if you wanna just buy it & drive it or buy it and wrench on it.

Also D1 vs D2 = totally personal preference. I've owned both and I prefer the more modern D2.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Best4x4
If the D2 shifts properly = it was done right lol. Probably had the front drive shaft die & take out the original transmission. All I can say on buying a cheap LR is that sometimes you get what you pay for. I've personally owned nearly 20 D1/D2's and out of all of those 2 were under 2K and the only reason was because I bought them from friends. The rest I've bought off of CL and I paid around 4,500.00 to 5,000.00 (depending on the year and how it was setup or the model). The one's I paid a decent amount for needed nothing but a new owner and I was able to just jump in them and enjoy them vs deal with a bunch of stuff to fix.

The 2 I got cheap = 1 just needed a new battery & and alternator! The rest was perfect, and the second needed a new transfer case, tons of interior/exterior bits, the engine, cooling system, and drive-line needed serious TLC. It's really just up to you and if you wanna just buy it & drive it or buy it and wrench on it.

Also D1 vs D2 = totally personal preference. I've owned both and I prefer the more modern D2.
Awesome info there, thanks! I may have consider upping my price range just a tad if I don’t luck up here soon on a 1500-2K Disco. I won’t mind doing a few cosmetic things out the gate or very minor mechanical fixes but I definitely do not want to have to spend a coupe months and a couple grand just to get one running and enjoying it.

I’m seeing a lot of leaky sunroofs.. are they pretty easy to seal up?

Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

If you take the time to drop the head liner most can be fixed rather easy.