New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

An American building my First Defender (a 110)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:24 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An American building my First Defender (a 110)

Hello! I am an American living in Moscow, Russia. Here, people love off roading and Defenders are plenty. I have decided on a Defender 110 and it will be custom built to my exact specification. Which is why I am here! I want to find out what works and what doesn't.
Some thing I have decided already:
1. Midnight grey flat paint
2. BMW М57D30 218hp diesel chipped to produce 300hp and matching automated transmission (I used to just call it a tranny when "tranny" meant transmission, but lately, it's taken on an entirely new meaning and I don't want to **** off any SJWs)
3. Probably red leather seats with silver stitching. I don't know... they look classy as hell. Or perhaps tan. I haven't decided yet.
The build will be based on a 2007 110 that is completely stripped to the bare frame. The frame will be cleaned completely, nickel plated, and all parts will receive new seals, bearings and bushings and whatever they do to rejuvenate it.

And so... what's next? Tires. Wheels. it will be used on the road as much, or more, as off the road. I will want to drive it across Russia. Through Siberia, the Mongolian desert and to wonderful places, like Baikal lake and Altai. Do I do 35's? 37's? will I be able to turn completely if I have 37's on it? I would love to hear everyone's input on it so I can make a good decision.

Thanks and have a great day!
BadVolf

Old 08-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Whatever you do, If you ever plan on bringing it to America, you CANNOT frame swap or engine swap it. So your custom build will be forever ineligible to bring home.

For a Russian vehicle, especially for use in remote areas, I would recommend just keeping the TD5 motor (can be tuned), the R380 5 speed manual trans, and standard 16 inch (you could use wolf) steel wheels with 33"s (factory size is/was 235/85/R16, a good larger size is 255 etc. If you do the BMW diesel, do you really need a high chip tune? If you are doing distance, less is more with regards to significant drive train modification.

Zero reason to have 35, 37, etc unless the ONLY place you are taking it is off road.

Also available are the later TD4 (puma) vehicles which have ford Tdci motors and ford 6 speeds, slightly improved interior.

A few quick internet searches and you can find many, many people who use defenders for distance travelling around the world, you will also notice that they are fairly standard with some minor changes. The giant tires and big motor swaps are for mall parking lots and maybe an icelandic rental 110. ​​​​​I seriously hope you don't ruin the car with modding.

Best of luck regardless!

Old 08-10-2018, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never can return

Well, I can never return to the United States... 9ts a complicated story but this explains...
Breaking Badvolf documentary

So bringing anything back is not an issue. Thanks for the advice on the build! Other than newness, is a 2007 substancialls different that a 2011 or 2014?

Old 08-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Oh wow gotcha.

your situation aside, Really no substantial difference other than 1998-2007 have the Td5 motor and the R380 5 speed, and the 2008-2015 models would have the Td4 (Ford Duratorq, there is a 2.2 version and 2.4 version) with a mated Ford 6 speed. The ford years have occasional issue in that there is a splined adapter that connects the ford transmission output shaft to the LT230 transfer box input, and since the adapter isn't lubricated they can sometimes strip out and you have no power (albeit rarely). Prop shaft lengths I believe are different also, but axles, hubs, everything else is the same on the two year brackets of defender.

Oh and Td5 interior versus Td4 interior some minor changes, you can google some videos/photos to see, but both are great cars.