New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!

Hello all!

I've was tossing around the ideas for getting either a diesel land cruiser, or a land rover. I finally decided on a diesel LR and I'm glad I did! Found a 95 disco that has a 6.2 L milspec diesel swap, custom snorkel setup, safari rack with hella lights, ARB bumper with warn wench, michelin zxl tires on steel rims, and it is a manual!

The interior really sold me as well. Everything still works, and is in great shape! I did rewire the stereo, installing new speakers and stereo, nothing crazy, just enough to keep music on. I threw a belt off the alternator, so I fixed that and rebuilt battery boxes after replacing those. My next little project is to replace the shift know to a custom I had made, as far as I read, it just pulls off? Is this right?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Love to see pictures!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Hammy
Hello all!

I've was tossing around the ideas for getting either a diesel land cruiser, or a land rover. I finally decided on a diesel LR and I'm glad I did! Found a 95 disco that has a 6.2 L milspec diesel swap, custom snorkel setup, safari rack with hella lights, ARB bumper with warn wench, michelin zxl tires on steel rims, and it is a manual!

The interior really sold me as well. Everything still works, and is in great shape! I did rewire the stereo, installing new speakers and stereo, nothing crazy, just enough to keep music on. I threw a belt off the alternator, so I fixed that and rebuilt battery boxes after replacing those. My next little project is to replace the shift know to a custom I had made, as far as I read, it just pulls off? Is this right?
Service every 10 000 Km, keep airways open en you will have a companion for live. Enjoy
post few pics!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:20 PM
4th Gear
Default Here are some pictures

Here are some pictures of my disco!

Attached Thumbnails Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img951033.jpg   Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img953041.jpg   Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img953385.jpg   Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img953987.jpg   Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img955001.jpg  

Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 PM
4th Gear
Default A few more

Here are a few more

Attached Thumbnails Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img956436.jpg   Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img956783.jpg   Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img957223.jpg   Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!-img957452.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Camel Trophy

Beautiful engine! How is the miles per gallon? Good acceleration?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy

Shift **** on both the manual and auto should pull off, but with some force. I think there is a hex set screw on the manual you might tighten.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO you should roll into the a dealer service lane, and video their look when they pop the hood.....

Who did the conversion?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM
4th Gear
Default Diesel LR

I've been running bio diesel thru it and getting 15-18 mpg. The conversion was done in Virginia using the same adapter kit they use in Australia. We do have a few dealers in the area I would like to see what they say about it! The acceleration is pretty good! I don't hotrod it though, as I'm afraid the torque may destroy the gearing in it. It'll idle through just about any mud or water though!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Hammy
I've been running bio diesel thru it and getting 15-18 mpg. The conversion was done in Virginia using the same adapter kit they use in Australia. We do have a few dealers in the area I would like to see what they say about it! The acceleration is pretty good! I don't hotrod it though, as I'm afraid the torque may destroy the gearing in it. It'll idle through just about any mud or water though!
Hammy,

I have a Mercedes diesel car (with OM617 engine, which will also run on biodiesel or just about anything except water) and spent months reading literally every forum post and website I could find trying to figure out how to fit and mate that engine into my Disco II--a friend of mine did the same research and got the same result--watched youtube videos, etc. In the end, I couldn't figure out how to deal with the electronics and the fabled adapter plate between the engine and transmission must be labeled "top secret" somewhere... I then turned to the 6.2 (Hummer, I assume) engine and bottomed out on the best combination of engine, transmission, transfer case, upgraded suspension, etc. I am not much of a mechanic anyway, and just gathering the information proved difficult. It was very frustrating to see engine bay shots of converted Disco I's and II's, video of them driving down the road belching beautiful black smoke with a turbo whine, etc. and not be able to put all of the pieces together even if only on paper. More frustrating yet were the "why would you do that; it will cost you too much" posts from naysayers.

Anyway, would you mind posting what you know about your setup? Like where the Australian kit came from, if you know, and what was involved in making everything work (electronics, radiator, transmission, suspension, etc.). It might be of use to someone; I guarantee someone else who wants to do a conversion is going to find this thread. I occasionally check ebay and online for the rebuilt hummer engines and other diesels, though I am sure I won't tackle that project at leas--if ever--until the gas engine I recently put in (after giving up on the diesel conversion) calls it quits; still I like to hear how it is really done and viewing your pictures it looks like you have a VERY nice setup.

Also, all of the other posts I have read and videos I have watched about 6.2's claim mileage in the mid 20's and up. Have you tried regular diesel and did that give you different mileage?

Thanks,

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-20-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Been looking for, now have my diesel LR!