New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Coming at you from Monterrey NL

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:38 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming at you from Monterrey NL

Hey guys, Glad I found this forum. It's given me a lot of good information and more than a few doubts.

Need an opinion, and my apologies if this is not the correct board to post on.

I've been looking at a number of Discos, ranging in age from 1997 to 2003. The latter years are in decent shape, albeit high mileage, most in the 120's or better.

I've about settled on a 1997 model Disco. 108,000 miles on the odometer, and appears to be in fair shape.

A little rusted out spot above one of the corner windows on the side. Tailgate won't open of course.

Starts right up, but with the CEL light on in the dash.

Dealer, who speaks as bad an English as I do Spanish, pointed out it needs plugs and wires, seems to be arcing at one point.

Needs exhaust work naturally.

Idling cold, there are small puffs of white smoke/vapor coming from the tailpipe and smell of gas. Tuneup might solve both those issues

Needs a seat switch and probably the motors on the sun roof's replaced. Interior is in exceptional shape, no rips or tears in upholstery

Engine had not been detailed but was clean and only minor evidence of a small leak.

Dealer was asking $2950 for it, and when I left, had him down to $2500.

Worth the money perhaps?

I haven't gone through all the Disco threads yet, so in your opinions, what might I be looking to spend to get this baby up to snuff? (Besides the usual fluid changes etc)

I need something to be ultra dependable because I make the trip from the Texas border to my home in Monterrey Mexico practically every week. We've got some excellent LR mechanics in the RGV and a top notch dealership in Monterrey, but nothing in between.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. This Disco has potential and will in the beginning, safe me more than $6k from the next one I was looking at, with much higher mileage.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

For $2500 its not a bad deal, not great, but $2200 would be better.

If you post in the Discovery section you will get more replies.