New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Fell in love!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:19 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fell in love!

Around this time last year, my boss being a huge LR fan took me to a LR only trials event. I have grown up working and having many Volkswagens and this was totally new to me. Watching these guys huck Series 1's, Discos, and Defenders over rocks and around trees had me wanting more and more. Not to mention the Rover crowed was much more down to earth and friendly than the VW crowd i was used to. So that was a year ago.

1 week ago I bought a 1996 Discovery with 138k on it for $2000.
It has some small issues that need attention like:

Brakes are soft and go to floor when stopping
Center diff lock is stuck and needs some tlc from un-use
Rear windows do not work
Rear sunroof does not work from rear switch (child lock off )
Tach comes in and out randomly
Rear door jam rust in classic spots
Other misc. buttons and plastic parts I can find at a salvage yard

I just hope to get some springs, shocks, and tires for the trials event coming up in about a month.

Thanks for having me!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Welcome and congrats on your new-to-you Rover. Good luck bringing her up to speed and getting out on the trails. There are a couple threads regarding stuck TC shifters so do a search and you can see what others have done.

You're in the right place if you have questions, a lot of good people with a lot of good knowledge here.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome Aboard. The rear windoews are simple. It is usually failed solder joints on the Window ECU circuit board located behind the glovebox. The board can be removed without unbolting the enclosure. The top bolts are a bitch to get to, so just unplug the connector and the board will pull straight out of the enclosure with a good set of pliers and steady pressure straight back toward the passengers seat. Then reflow ALL the solder joints and that will most likely resolve the window issue. A couple of recent newbies struggled with this but most worked after reflow (some had to do it twice).

The CDL Linkage is a bit more difficult to get to, since it pretty much requires the removal of the center console which is a bit involved. Then you drill out the factory rivets around the metal ring securing the rubber boot in place. Do not ruin the boot by cutting it, as you can reinstall it with a pop rivet gun. I bought new clips and clevis pins to replace mine because of the advanced corrosion. This area will retain mud and water from off-roading and can get really bad. Mine was nasty, but with several hours of disassembly, cleaning lubing and reassembly I was able to shift smoothly but still had to replace the CDL Plunger Switch for it to be fully operational with the CDL Engaged Light working. Exercise it regularly to keep it functional.

You will enjoy it for sure off road when you get the CDL functional.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yeah, 1 more thing. You mentioned central PA, how far from Pittsburgh? I am just east of Pittsburgh, right off the PA Turnpike Monroeville exit. There is a website for a local Land Rover group, Fort Pitt Land Rover Group (FPLRG.com) if you want to take a look at their events pictures and they have a much smaller forum. They go off-road a lot around the Ligioner/ Laurel Mountains area and a few other decent places mostly east of Greensburg and that general area.
Just a small social group of affected Land Rover Addicts.

Does your boss belong to a group? Where do yall go trail riding?