New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

First Rover, first 4x4 vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 710 Likes on 598 Posts
Default First Rover, first 4x4 vehicle.

Today I picked up my first Rover and for that matter, my first 4x4/SUV type vehicle. Always had BIG luxury saloons but nothing "tall". In fact I still have the BMW 7 that the Rover will probably end up replacing. The Rover is a 2006 LR3 HSE with 105,000 miles. Sand exterior with alpaca interior. Loaded fairly well. Lacks lumbar support, electric steering adjustment and DVD system but I think it had all the other bells and whistles. The cooler will come in handy on long photography trips and the adaptive headlights were interesting to watch in action on some dark, curvy back roads. Low milage, low wear and tear but probably at the milage point where little, if anything, has been done to it repair wise. Already researched the most common things and will tackle them in due time. For now I will start with the basics such as fluids. I was glad to see the red coolant, I assume thats the proper stuff. Most Rovers I looked at where higher milage with green stuff.

I think the one thing I appreciated most about it are the ergonomics. It did not take long to adapt to driving it, unlike the Jeep Patriot I rented for a trip once (I officially hate Jeeps since the long trip with that road turd). A few things though I still need to concur such as the wiper system and I wont even think about the radio settings.

Only apparent problems, no music. Worked during test drive but not today when I picked it up. Did not even notice til I was well under way on the road. I hope its just a fuse but I fear the amp just had horrible timing on its death. Head unit works fine. Other issue is noisy compressor. Will probably pick up a spare, rebuilt it and swap it in. Used to own a Mark VIII so I am pretty familiar with air-ride stuff.

Too dark to take pics, will post a couple tomorrow.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Welcome aboard and congrats the LR3's are great trucks.

If you think the Patriot is bad you should try a new Renegade some time....

Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics of the LR3? Hope the radio issues are working out. All the best with your new truck!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 710 Likes on 598 Posts

Have not had time to take some good pics, but here is a shot. Its been wicked cold here, barely getting above zero Fahrenheit some days. Next snow fall I hope to do some nice ones. Anyway, radio works with replacement amp. Found out the lower control arms in front were replaced about 30k miles ago along with a lot of other things. The dealer was really kind is providing info. It been well taken care of which was great to find out after purchasing. I still plan to change diff fluids, again, even though they have been done. I doubt he trans fluid has been changed. But at least it can all wait til it gets warm out now. So as it stands now its problem free and performs well. Has been great to have this winter so far. It really moves much better in conditions that would hinder my BMW.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sandy gold finish is a great color in this picture, especially with the sun shining through the trees in the background. The truck seems like it's in really great shape, at least from what I can tell on the outside.

Hope you enjoy the new ride and feel free to share more cool pics!

Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Great looking rover, congrats!

Welcome to the board.

Brian.