New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

First time LR owner - Disco II - Minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time LR owner - Disco II - Minnesota

Ahoy hoy. First time LR owner with the 2003 Discovery II i recently picked up. I pick it up for cheap, and naturally it has a few issues. One bad ABS wheel sensor, wipers that don't seem to want to return to the "home" position, and some pretty hilariously bad exhaust leaks from bad manifold to Y-pipe gaskets and missing studs that I have already taken care of. It was also in a bit of a front end bruiser. All in all, I think I got what I wanted, a cheap Discovery that needs a bit of TLC to use as a winter vehicle/3rd car...or 5th car or whatever it is to me.

I'm new to Land Rovers, but have owned a number of BMWs, a whole fleet of Saabs, an old VW and a few other random cars mixed in. I tend to enjoy "troubled" cars, along with crap can racing (i.e. 24 Hours of Lemons, and Chump Car), mounting biking, camping, drinking beer, and eating spicy stuff.

Anyway, I've been learning quite a bit recently, lurking around on the various Land Rover forums. Hopefully I can get my Disco straitened out a bit and enjoy it in the snow and mud or for whatever else I decide to use it for.

Name:  LRD2008.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  139.0 KB

Name:  LRD2006.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  159.7 KB

Name:  LRD2004.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  133.5 KB

Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think these things are the luck of the draw. I love mine and have been through pretty much the same line of vehicles you have. My Disco has been a champ and I have had fewer issues with it than I have had with any VW I have owned. I know Land Rovers get a bad rep for squirrely electrics, and mine has had some, but my VWs electrical quirks make this thing look like a vacation. Super easy to work on and I find them no more quirky than any other big 4x4 truck. ;-)