New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Future discovery 2 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Future discovery 2 owner

Hello to all you expert Land Rover owners! It's great to be here. I joined this forum to gain some knowledge on Land Rover history, Maintenance tips, etc.

Just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I'm a young man living in Colorado looking to own a Land Rover Discovery 2 in the next few months to drive up to the mountains for weekend trips and potentially a taking a road trip or two every year. I would love to learn from this communities experience on what Discovery models worked best for you and even interior maintenance tips for people who ride with their pups during trips. I'm excited to hear your advice!

All the best,

- FR

Old 12-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there, welcome to the forum, owning and living with these trucks aren't as bad as everyone thinks, they have their quirks and gremlins like every other car model but they dont deserve their awful rep. For instance the transmissions, axels, frame and transfer cases are built like they are for tanks! Also the interior is easy to clean can take a beating and is made with very high quality materials. Very stout trucks, and far more beefy stock than jeep, chevy, ford.

the only major issues seem to be with the brakes (which you just have to look out for i.e 3 amigos) and ENGINE problems. Engine problems include oil pressure issues as the pumps/gears are kindof weak. Be sure to use shell 15w 40 rotella. And most importantly the cooling systems in these trucks. Make sure you NEVER EVER EVER OVERHEAT your rover. Buy an Ultragauge right away as the temp gauge on the dash is about as accurate as a magic 8 ball. Dont use dexcool for coolant either it sucks eggs. Watch out for strange noises amd ticks very common, and most importantly have fun!

use it offroad like it was built for and take your dogs with ya! Best advice i ever heard on the internet helped me when i bought my 03 disco in june of 16 and ill share it with ya!

"Dont look as it as a modern luxury truck, or a daily driver, look at it as you would a 1970 Jeep cj that needs lots of TLC, and you should have minimal issues!"

Old 12-29-2017, 02:42 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Be picky when buying.
Have money for parts, regardless how good of condition the one you buy is in, or seems to be.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To start out with, I'd read this excellent thread here that explains some of the major things to look out for when you actually buy a DII. This additionally explains a bit of the maintenance advice you're looking for.

Further, some DII basics--this vehicle was made from 1999.5-2004 and comes in 3 main trims S, SE, and HSE being the highest level trim. Some of these trucks can carry 7 passengers by adding two extra seats in the back (thus the reason for the 7 in some trims i.e. HSE7). The trim badges are displayed on the side of the vehicle so you'll always know exactly what level trim you're looking at it.

I will stick my neck out and say that the 2004 DII is probably the best model year DII, both in terms of looks, interior luxury, and capability. Not to mention, it's not as old as the other DII's. The '04 comes with a 4.6L V8 and is the only model year that has the CDL (center differential lock) as standard, which is obviously great for taking it off roading in CO as you mention. The 2003 models were known to have oil pump issues no matter which way you fix them, so I'd avoid this model year all around. The DII's from '02 and earlier do not carry as powerful engines nor the CDL, although it can be added.

As long as YOU maintain the vehicle and don't let the vehicle TELL YOU when it needs maintained, you should be A-okay with these trucks. I have a DII '04 HSE7 that I actually bought in 2015 with 63k miles on it. It now has 87k and I have had little trouble with it aside from a few minor electrical issues. Buying a vehicle that is coming on 14+ years in age is going to come with some problems (some are actually 15 years old since most '04s were actually built in 2003), but as long as you buy one with lower mileage (preferably under 100k), engine having never been overheated, and has been properly maintained over the years, you should be able to enjoy this vehicle like no other. It's certainly the most luxurious (for an '04) all-terrain capable vehicle I've ever driven; it far surpasses any stock Jeep Wrangler of its time.

At the same time, it also has the DNA to get cleaned up and look nice for those nights out in the town. Best of luck in your search!

The following users liked this post:
FRONTRANK (01-02-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by dasherman
To start out with, I'd read this excellent thread here that explains some of the major things to look out for when you actually buy a DII. This additionally explains a bit of the maintenance advice you're looking for.

Further, some DII basics--this vehicle was made from 1999.5-2004 and comes in 3 main trims S, SE, and HSE being the highest level trim. Some of these trucks can carry 7 passengers by adding two extra seats in the back (thus the reason for the 7 in some trims i.e. HSE7). The trim badges are displayed on the side of the vehicle so you'll always know exactly what level trim you're looking at it.

I will stick my neck out and say that the 2004 DII is probably the best model year DII, both in terms of looks, interior luxury, and capability. Not to mention, it's not as old as the other DII's. The '04 comes with a 4.6L V8 and is the only model year that has the CDL (center differential lock) as standard, which is obviously great for taking it off roading in CO as you mention. The 2003 models were known to have oil pump issues no matter which way you fix them, so I'd avoid this model year all around. The DII's from '02 and earlier do not carry as powerful engines nor the CDL, although it can be added.

As long as YOU maintain the vehicle and don't let the vehicle TELL YOU when it needs maintained, you should be A-okay with these trucks. I have a DII '04 HSE7 that I actually bought in 2015 with 63k miles on it. It now has 87k and I have had little trouble with it aside from a few minor electrical issues. Buying a vehicle that is coming on 14+ years in age is going to come with some problems (some are actually 15 years old since most '04s were actually built in 2003), but as long as you buy one with lower mileage (preferably under 100k), engine having never been overheated, and has been properly maintained over the years, you should be able to enjoy this vehicle like no other. It's certainly the most luxurious (for an '04) all-terrain capable vehicle I've ever driven; it far surpasses any stock Jeep Wrangler of its time.

At the same time, it also has the DNA to get cleaned up and look nice for those nights out in the town. Best of luck in your search!
Dasherman, thank you very much for the insightful advice. The link you provided is exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely contact you in the future for more information. Take care.

Happy New Year,

-FR

Old 12-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Be picky when buying.
Have money for parts, regardless how good of condition the one you buy is in, or seems to be.
Thanks Sixpack577! Any tips on which parts to buy beforehand?

Happy New Year,

-FR

Old 12-30-2017, 11:50 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by FRONTRANK

Happy New Year,

-FR
All of them, lol

Old 12-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Mr. Tick
Hi there, welcome to the forum, owning and living with these trucks aren't as bad as everyone thinks, they have their quirks and gremlins like every other car model but they dont deserve their awful rep. For instance the transmissions, axels, frame and transfer cases are built like they are for tanks! Also the interior is easy to clean can take a beating and is made with very high quality materials. Very stout trucks, and far more beefy stock than jeep, chevy, ford.

the only major issues seem to be with the brakes (which you just have to look out for i.e 3 amigos) and ENGINE problems. Engine problems include oil pressure issues as the pumps/gears are kindof weak. Be sure to use shell 15w 40 rotella. And most importantly the cooling systems in these trucks. Make sure you NEVER EVER EVER OVERHEAT your rover. Buy an Ultragauge right away as the temp gauge on the dash is about as accurate as a magic 8 ball. Dont use dexcool for coolant either it sucks eggs. Watch out for strange noises amd ticks very common, and most importantly have fun!

use it offroad like it was built for and take your dogs with ya! Best advice i ever heard on the internet helped me when i bought my 03 disco in june of 16 and ill share it with ya!

"Dont look as it as a modern luxury truck, or a daily driver, look at it as you would a 1970 Jeep cj that needs lots of TLC, and you should have minimal issues!"
Excellent advice Mr. Tick. Much appreciated. I've heard 03s we're not the greatest year of DII models. With you having experience with that year model is there anything you can recommend to look out for prior to purchase?

Happy New Year,

-FR

Old 12-30-2017, 11:56 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by FRONTRANK

Happy New Year,

-FR
But seriously, it's hard to say.
It all depends on the individual vehicle.
It could need alot or a little.
As you've read, oil pumps, head gaskets, and several other things are common.
You never know.
The only 100% have to have part is a new front driveshaft. If the one on the truck you buy hasn't been replaced, or you are unsure...buy one!
Lucky8 is excellent to buy everything from, and a front driveshaft is around $200. When the original fails, it will destroy the catalytic converter pipe, and knock a big hole in the transmission...destroying it too.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM
TReK

The biggest downside to an 03 is no cdl.
You can add one, but just one more thing to buy and install. Big difference off road.
All the 03s had a bad rep when new, and a few years old.
Bad castings in blocks, oil pump cover hole alignments, recalls, blah, blah. But, consider that was 14-15 years ago. Any issues like that are long gone, and not a real concern when looking at 03s.
If you find a clean, good running 03, at a fair price, I wouldn't be concernced about buying it.
If it ticks and leaks, that just means it's a genuine Land Rover, lol.
If you are prepared to work on it, not if, but when. And have a grand or 2 for parts. Go for it.
If you can swap or rebuild an engine, even better.
Clean Discos with overheated engines are $500-$800 boat anchors, and still pretty common.
I see them on Va Craigslist weekly for years.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 12-30-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Future discovery 2 owner