New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Future discovery 2 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
The biggest downside to an 03 is no cdl.
You can add one, but just one more thing to buy and install. Big difference off road.
All the 03s had a bad rep when new, and s few years old.
Bad castings in blocks, oil pump cover hole alignments, recalls, blah, blah. Buy, consider that was 14-15 years ago. Any issues like that are long gone, and not a real concern when looking at 03s.
I see, so what I'm getting from your advice (correct me if I'm wrong.) Don't be afraid of 03's, buy all necessary parts that commonly need to be repaired / replaced and make those repairs before I take it off the lot. And I should be all good as long as I pay close attention to my DII.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:22 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

The front driveshaft is the NEED part.
Anything else could have already been done, like head gaskets and power steering pumps. Or, they will be needed in future.
I don't like to throw parts at things, but Discos can turn into that real fast. My 04 has. Just how these are.
It would be no suprise for you to find a well maintainted D2 with around 100k miles, that runs great, and you pay $2k for it, and drive it 50k+ miles issue free.
You could also spend $6k on the same and have constant problems.
Look for leaks, make sure what does and doesn't work.
And drive it for a while to make sure it doesn't heat.
If you can do your own work, you'll be ok.
Just look around at several. I'de even hold out for your favorite color, they're out there.

The following users liked this post:
FRONTRANK (01-02-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
The front driveshaft is the NEED part.
Anything else could have already been done, like head gaskets and power steering pumps. Or, they will be needed in future.
I don't like to throw parts at things, but Discos can turn into that real fast. My 04 has. Just how these are.
It would be no suprise for you to find a well maintainted D2 with around 100k miles, that runs great, and you pay $2k for it, and drive it 50k+ miles issue free.
You could also spend $6k on the same and have constant problems.
Look for leaks, make sure what does and doesn't work.
And drive it for a while to make sure it doesn't heat.
If you can do your own work, you'll be ok.
Just look around at several. I'de even hold out for your favorite color, they're out there.

​​​​​​I was about to go into this blindly but, something told me to reach out for some help. I'm really appreciative of all the information you all are sharing with me. I know the research is far from done before I own my black on black DII but, I'm stoked to learn more. Sixpack577, you're a big help. I'm definitely coming to you for more advice!

Sixpack577 (01-02-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FRONTRANK
With you having experience with that year model is there anything you can recommend to look out for prior to purchase?

Happy New Year,

-FR
Happy New Year to you as well!! And yes my 2003 is also in the so called gloom and doom "death range" in the vin. Ya know to tell the the truth i dont believe the 2003's are any worse than the other disco IIs. ANY land rover can have a bad oil pump regardless of vin or year. So i would say dont worry too much. But on a side note chances are if it has gone more than 80,000 miles it can not have a defective oil pump. The pumps in the 2003s didnt last past 20k miles when they were new. And LR replaced the then (under warranty) engines. As a car dealer ive seen at auctions 2003 discos with 140k and running like tops and ive seen 2004 discos with 50k that are ready to implode with oil lights on ticking like crazy.

but something I can recommend is buying an oil pressure gauge regardless of the year if it's a Land Rover it needs an oil pressure gauge to monitor it. because like I said all the pumps can go bad.

FRONTRANK (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Overlanding

Thanks Mr. Tick. You and Sixpack577 shared some good points on the 03 D2s. I currently have my eye on an 03 with 97k on it. I'll keep you both posted.

Take Care,

-FR

Old 01-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Overlanding

Sorry I meant a 04 DII. It looks like it sold already though for 10g's.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Drifting

Sorry I meant a 04 DII. It looks like it sold already though for 10g's.
Wow over $10,000 is a huuuuge chuck of coin for a D2 but must of been sweet with all kinds of upgrades and offroad gear! As a dealer wish I could import a diesel TD5 and be able to get that kind of money for it. I wonder if 20 - 30yrs from now these will be collectable like 60s broncos are

Old 01-02-2018, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

​​​​​​I was about to go into this blindly but, something told me to reach out for some help. I'm really appreciative of all the information you all are sharing with me. I know the research is far from done before I own my black on black DII but, I'm stoked to learn more. Sixpack577, you're a big help. I'm definitely coming to you for more advice!

Thank you sir, I'll do what I can.
I've been working on cars and bikes for many years...but this is my first Land Rover.
I've had it 6 months now, and have learned alot from the good folks here.
Fortunately, they are easy to work on. And mine has done an excellent job of killing the grass in my driveway, at least in the spot it's been sitting.
One day, I'm even going to drive it again.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Overlanding

Hey guys I test drove this one today. It seems perfect. Interior / Exterior is practically in mint condition. A lot of added gadgets and seems in great mechanical shape (No ticking, not warning lights, very smooth drive, no rust underneath and the breaks feel nice and does not squeak. The only thing is I was really looking for a black one and the price is a little higher than the DIIs I've seen put up for sale previously. I would love to hear your input. I'll attach the link was well. Thanks guys.

Take care,

-FR

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=DISCOV

Old 01-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Hey guys I test drove this one today. It seems perfect.
Dayyyumm you're making me jealous no ticks, no leaks, no squeaks, no bumps,? It does sound perfect! How does it shift?

Quick Reply: Future discovery 2 owner