New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Future Owner? Connecticut

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:21 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Owner? Connecticut

Researching possible used Land Rover purchase, but can't locate credible statistics or safety ratings. Typical research sites (such as KBB, Edmunds, IIHS) state that all Land Rover vehicles have not been tested (in all areas) for several years.

If anyone has information to share, please post. I really want to buy a Land Rover (Discovery or L2/L3) but without safety records will not consider.

Thank you. Hope to become an owner soon!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought about your post for a few days. While I can't specify some safety report, I purchased a 97 Disco 1 for my daughter's first high school car. It weighs more than my F250 Ford, so another car in a wreck will be the designated crumple zone. Like any SUV, high center of gravity does not go well with off-camber turns and foolish driving. But that would apply to a lot of lifted Jeeps and the like also. It does have dual air bags, and if you go back far enough even Mercedes just offered driver's, the passenger side was extra (on my 93 300TE you lost the glove box when you bought the extra air bag). No, it does not have side ones, and the aluminum doors don't have bars inside them.

And she laughs at the "macho" boys driving mom's minivan....

I have seen several Discovery 1 vehicles in the salvage yard that had rolled over, the roofs cave in at the front, but not very much - looked like you would survive to me.

Perhaps when an accident is loomimg, you would decide to avoid by going in the ditch. Not an option with a Camry, but in a Rover you can quickly think about the approach angle to enter the ditch and exit the other side....

I would guess that the Discovery is more than a match for most small and mid-sized automobiles, but a '52 Buick Roadmaster or a dump truck is certainly a challenge.