New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hello from the NJ/NYC area

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from the NJ/NYC area

Just picked up a Maya Gold 2003 Discovery with 115k on the clock. Always liked these vehicles and decided to go ahead and purchase one. Read all about the preventive maintenance and prop shaft issues. My truck already had the u joints replaced but I will be having them checked out this Friday.

I've always been a sport coupe guy coming over from the classic BMW M cars scene. Currently own a 1989 M3 and 1991 M5 which I do most of my work on. I'm looking forward to learning more about my truck on these forums. Really helped me a lot when I was shopping around.

Name:  e5X80.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  xy6Ez.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  59.8 KB

Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice ride. Won't handle like the bimwahs, and certainly won't match their mpg... See Disco Mike's high miles service list and get busy and enjoy. The RAVE is the shop and owner manual set of manuals, free download links below.

Don't trust the factory heat gauge, look at an Ultra Gauge or use your scanner to see real temps in the coolant.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a beautiful ride!

Welcome! I am a newbie here as well, also from NJ/NYC area

Old 11-22-2012, 03:31 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Nice ride. Won't handle like the bimwahs, and certainly won't match their mpg... See Disco Mike's high miles service list and get busy and enjoy. The RAVE is the shop and owner manual set of manuals, free download links below.

Don't trust the factory heat gauge, look at an Ultra Gauge or use your scanner to see real temps in the coolant.

Thanks for the input, Discovery surely doesn't handle like the Ms but its so much more comfortable thats for sure. The streets around here are in too poor condition as well, went as far as breaking a shock mount on my M5. Love the Discovery though, mine already had the front shaft rebuilt but tomorrow Im putting it up on the lift at my friend's garage to have a good poke around. First thing is flushing out that red coolant that is currently in there. After the holidays I'll be tackling the full high millage service you speak of. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by spikeRovah
What a beautiful ride!

Welcome! I am a newbie here as well, also from NJ/NYC area
Thank you sir, I've been lurking on here for a few weeks just reading about the truck before I purchased it. Im in Jersey City by exchange place.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by evil_disco
Thanks for the input, Discovery surely doesn't handle like the Ms but its so much more comfortable thats for sure. The streets around here are in too poor condition as well, went as far as breaking a shock mount on my M5. Love the Discovery though, mine already had the front shaft rebuilt but tomorrow Im putting it up on the lift at my friend's garage to have a good poke around. First thing is flushing out that red coolant that is currently in there. After the holidays I'll be tackling the full high millage service you speak of. Thanks again.

Thank you sir, I've been lurking on here for a few weeks just reading about the truck before I purchased it. Im in Jersey City by exchange place.
That's not too far from my GF, she's in Newport, I live in Queens by LaGuardia.

That's a clean looking truck, congrats! Definitely follow Mike's list of things to do.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evil_disco

Ah, not too far. I'm right in Rahway.