New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hello from PA/NJ with a Disco2

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello from PA/NJ with a Disco2

Hi, I'm coming from a background with Saabs, but knowing nothing about Land Rovers had to get one after test driving a disco2 and finding it to be far superior to everything else I drove. Read a little here and there, figured out that a lot of them leak sunroofs and windshields, that a lot of them have "fun" quirks and sort of what to watch out for. After seeing 17 discovery 2's in 6 days and driving over 1200 miles total in search of that one that will have my heart I did get a 2000 Discovery II with SLS and 7 seats. It had an issue with the rear right air bag being worn. I ordered two bags, but the right one appeared to have been recently replaced, so I only replaced the leaking bag. About a 20 minute job. The ABS and TC lights were on, that was due to ABS sensor wires being cut, fixed that, no more lights. It had a misfire core on cyl 5 & 7. Replaced spark plug wires that were all brittle and cracked and the vehicle passed PA inspection. Now I have to do all four rotors, pads, and an oil change. Have the parts, thought I'd be lazy and take it to a shop, but seems like shops see a Land Rover and do a x3 multiplier. Whatever, can't be lazy I guess. Also replaced the wiper arms today to those of a Disco I and installed Bosch Icon wipers. The thought of using "original" wipers was making me cringe. Next to come is repair of the washer tank, which just leaks the entire contents outside, rotoflex thing, the intake manifold gasket which is letting antifreeze out, and the sunroof leaks/headliner repair. Might do head gaskets while I'm at it. Also installing heated seats switches since winter's coming and am working on desiging a steel bumper that will be plasmacut as a single panel which will be bent up and welded. I don't know why, but every disco 2 I looked at had a cracked bumper. Could it be that the brakes are sub-par?

In any case, sorry for the wall of text, just a hello from me in General. Don't know why people find these trucks troublesome, they seem quite simple and well made to me.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

welcome. you have been busy. I am interested in seeing the bumper. Would you be willing to share the design? My neighbor has a CNC plasma cutter at his shop. He offered to fab a bumper if I am able to give him a cad file.

As for the bumpers. The plastic is extremely brittle. Mine was cracked when I got it and I cracked it on the other side when I grazed a snow bank.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by acamato
welcome. you have been busy. I am interested in seeing the bumper. Would you be willing to share the design? My neighbor has a CNC plasma cutter at his shop. He offered to fab a bumper if I am able to give him a cad file.

As for the bumpers. The plastic is extremely brittle. Mine was cracked when I got it and I cracked it on the other side when I grazed a snow bank.
I will gladly share the design... Which machine does he have? What's the max size sheet metal he can take?

Also, your's isn't the 03-04? Since adjustment would be needed, but you know that.

Last edited by Roto; 10-15-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Overlanding

Heated seats installed. Don't like the way the thermostat works in them. Are there any OEM adjustable doo-dads for these? If not I'll just use Saab parts for that.