New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

helloeverybody

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helloeverybody

i just bought a used 2004 discovery hse... i always wanted to have a landrover since i was a kid
i hpe i made the right decision.. i know they are problematic and i waiting for something to go wrong any advise yall could give me..
i sure would appreciate... its such a beautiful vehicle and a joy to drive

Last edited by colojj; 04-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Welcome

2. Front drive shaft, if oem, will split without warning and thrash hole in transmission. The sealed u joints dry out from CAT temp. $100 rebuild in advance article in our tech area or use an after market shaft.

3. Factory heat gauge will point at 50% from bout 130-240F. So it can be near or overheating without you knowing it. Use a scanner or Ultra Gauge to know the real temp. 180F soft spring thermostats are available.

4. Shop and owner manuals are in download below.

5. High miles service list in our tech area. Don't wait for things to go wrong, it is much cheaper to prevent them.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

All of the above, and a basic set of SAE and Metric open-end/box-end wrenches and 1/4 & 3/8 ratchets with SAE/Metric socket set to match each. A 12 point 8 mm 1/4 drive socket to tighten the valve covers should be added to you sockets if it is not already in your set. 3" and 6" extensions for each rachet as well. A set of inside hex wrenches and/or hex bits, also referred to as Allen wrenches. A battery powered screwdriver/drill driver is also very nice to have. Common D2 fuses and relays are good to have too for spares.

Water leaks should be taken very seriously! Add some Self-Fusing "Rescue" tape to your on-board tool kit as well. As I take this serious, I carry some 50/50 coolant mix also in the bins in the back. Check your coolant color, orange "factory Dexcool" or green. I suggest changing to green if not already green as Dexcool can gunk up your system if any air gets to it due to air left in the system or leaks, so complete flush and fill with 50/50 green coolant mix may be in order.

Download RAVE to your smartphone and carry it with you. I also have a large document now of tips/hints for prevention and repair items that I have copied from forum posts for issues I have not had yet, but wanted to have the tips in an organized format for easy access when needed. I have found that this also allows me to recognize some issues before they become major and correct and save hassle and money in some cases knowing that something is failing based on symptoms that were noted in the repair post that I read and added to my notes. This has served me well for major issues, planned suspension upgrades, simple bulb replacements, cooling system issues and accessory upgrades. Also, nice to know the nut/bolt sizes needed in many cases from the notes when you head under your vehicle and pics of what to expect and where to look. You can also have replacement part#s and possible non-LR parts that may be used in some cases that may be easier to find and cheaper. There are also many how-to videos on YouTube that show how to do some repairs on your D2. Always, read here, watch videos, and refer to the RAVE manual and come up with your plan to tackle the issue at hand. I keep the most updated version of my notes in a Word document on my phone.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 04-20-2013 at 10:18 AM.