New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

HI

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default HI

Hello everyone! I signed up today, and already benefited from someone else's experience this morning. (Radiator Leak)

I've been a long time member of JaguarForums.com but just sold my 99 XJR last week. I wanted to keep the Jaguar Feel, so I bought a 2003 Discovery II to replace it. LOVE the vehicle so far. But, with a LOT of experience on the Jaguar's, I can say this forum will be my Bible from now on. I really enjoy finding fixes for the little things that haunt me, and I like to share the fixes I find.

I'm sure I'll get to know some of you, and you will be seeing my posts from time to time.

Thank you to all that make this Forum Possible, and thanks to everyone who gives of their time and expertise to write posts.

SuperSport
Stephen

Old 12-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to have you on board!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry but a 99xjr doesn't share anything with a Land rover discovery that year. Not until the 2005 Discovery 3 did they share engines. And best of all they don't have nickelsil problems like your 99 xjr did. Although they leak it out in other ways.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Sorry but a 99xjr doesn't share anything with a Land rover discovery that year. Not until the 2005 Discovery 3 did they share engines. And best of all they don't have nickelsil problems like your 99 xjr did. Although they leak it out in other ways.
True, I guess I was referring more to the Aesthetics (mostly interior), and the need to constantly tinker with it. Literally, by the time I got the Disco home from the purchase, it was leaking coolant all over my driveway. But, I found it to be an easy fix, so I'm happy. Besides, if I didn't have things to do to it, other than drive it, I'm not sure I'd be happy... I'm so used to the Jag needing this or that all the time.

Luckily, I didn't suffer from the nickelsil issue. I sold it with almost 160,000 miles, and it was still driving like new. Fun, Beautiful cars, Just like the Rover.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

take a good look at an Ultra Gauge, so you can check your coolant temps in digital fashion. Coolant leaks, and soon to overheat, can go hand in hand. The factory gauge points at 50% until the engine reaches the extra crispy stage.

Attached Thumbnails HI-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
take a good look at an Ultra Gauge, so you can check your coolant temps in digital fashion. Coolant leaks, and soon to overheat, can go hand in hand. The factory gauge points at 50% until the engine reaches the extra crispy stage.
Yes, the coolant gauge is one thing that definitely was shared between the XJR and the Discovery. The XJR also had an Idiot Gauge. There was a JaguarForums member that created a plug-in mod for it so it would read like a REAL gauge. He sold them for around $100.

Also, after a LOT of reading yesterday, I've already decided to buy the UltraGauge. I am amazed how cheap it is for what you get, and it looks nice. I also have a Bluetooth adapter and the Android app in the mean time till I get the UltraGauge.

Thank you Savannah Buzz for the tip.

I cannot wait to start modding this thing a bit. I've got a Nokia Lumia 920 Cell phone with Wireless Charging, so I'll be mounting a Wireless charger somewhere. Also, the UltraGauge needs to be permanently mounted somewhere. Picking up a Tow Hitch, Rear Wiper Arm, and Brake Pedal Pad today or tomorrow. We're having fun now!

Last edited by SuperSport; 12-12-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

here is one place

Attached Thumbnails HI-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Pro Wrench

Update: Last night my wife and I drove up to South Lake Tahoe to play in the snow. This thing is SO FUN in the snow. I've owned dozens of 4x4's over the years, and I have to say, this is up there with the best of them. We did some spinning around, but what impressed me most was that the Traction Control, Antilock Brakes, and Hill Descent all work exceptionally well.

I have to admit, when Antilock Brakes first came out, I hated them because I've always controlled that myself. But over time, as they programmed them better, I've started to enjoy using them when needed.

This Disco is balanced so well, and the systems work so well together, it's really amazing.

I found a 3-4 foot snow bank, and it plowed through it as if it didn't exist. All my wife could do is giggle. I had her drive it, and now she's in LOVE with it. She did donuts, climbed hills, went through deep snow, etc... It was lots of fun!

PS: Hill Descent is strange to use, but actually worked quite well. I think in time, I'll become accustomed to it as I did with Antilock Brakes.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not trust the hill decent 100% who knows when its going to fail.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
I would not trust the hill decent 100% who knows when its going to fail.
Actually, I never trust any system 100%. I definitely cover the brakes at all times while driving. But, it is nice that it works as well as it does. We went down a fairly steep hill in snow, and it worked great. Applying just the right amount of braking when needed. But, your comment is well heeded.