New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Howdy from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy from Texas

Howdy, I am from Dallas and own an 03 Disco with 80K miles. Bought it used back in late 08 and love it. When it works it's an amazing vehicle, but when something goes wrong, it really goes wrong. I recently felt a very violent shaking whenever I was accelerating. Due to some reading and my dad's help, he figured out it was the u-joints. Today we took the front drive shaft off intending to do the rebuild that is discussed in depth on this forum. As we inspected, we noticed the slots that the u-joints go into on the yoke and the carden joint are broken. So after calling around we discovered that these parts are not sold separately. I have decided to go with the Tom Woods conventional double carden drive shaft. Should have it in hand and on by next week. When I talked to them today they said it was s drop-in replacement, just to make sure it's full of grease. Anyways, glad to be here and learn some new things and hope to see some of you on the road.

My Landy:

The problem shaft:

Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You'll want to save the old one to beat off all the women that will flock to that good lookin' Disco.... Don't forget to download the Rave tech manual set. And the forums have a technical section that lists maintenance things that you'll want to be sure have been done to your truck.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Winching

Save that shaft and rebuild it as a spare, or sell it. I think you are looking at the bearing cups that are broken. I don't see anything wrong with the joint. Those cups get beat out anyway. Mine looked just like that when I tore it apart. It rebuilt fine.

(edit) Oops, after looking at that top pic closer I can see where you have some damage. Man you dodged a bullet!

Last edited by photocrimes; 08-10-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Thanks! Yeah I definitely dodged a bullet, it was shaking pretty bad. Good news is there is no other damage. Ordered the driveshaft from Tom Woods today, said he would have it shipped out tomorrow and arrive by Wednesday. Can't wait to get it in and get back to driving!