New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

I Want a Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Want a Land Rover

I'm torn between a low mileage Disco II and a range rover. I've read several forums that almost suggest I should run away if I want a reliable SUV. Is Land Rover ownership a labor of love, or do some people just have bad experiences?

I know a lot about maintenance...I drive a Crossfire.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It's all in the maintenance. If you stay on top of it and love to turn a wrench then they can be reliable and fun.

For me I have a Land Rover 110 and a MGB. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

When I got my Land Rover, it had been 'rode hard and put away wet' Took some tweaking and a few parts, but now it is a darn reliable machine. so much so that my son took it on a trip for work. it won't be back for 2 weeks. Glad I got it, just wish I got to drive it occasionally.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you find the Disco II to be more or less reliable than the range rover?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 Disco II's an 04 and a 99. The maintenance keeps me a little busy but they are fun to drive.
A friend of mine just bought an LR3. I wish I had it instead of my 04. He got a real deal on it.
A range rover is great if you have some $$$$ But older ones have as many maintenance issues as the Disco II..
My Brother in law has a new RR 1.5 - 2 yrs It is very nice and he has had not trouble with it. Problem is.. a new one is probably $70K.
I like both my rovers the 99 has been with me since 2000 and I have driven it every where . East, New England South western Mexico Up the west coast , Out to Colorado several times , Florida a bunch of times. It has 236000 miles 2 head gasket jobs, plug wires, Plugs Main engine seal. Water Pump. Over the years it has had some maintenance. But if you keep it cool and keep it maintained it will run forever and go anywhere I want to go.
The 04 is my Spare, It's nice and all stock. Has 80K miles and new Head gaskets, So I should be good to go for awhile.
Love them or hate them they have never left me stranded.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an 03 Disco that I absolutely love. I was much like you and got myself poking around on this forum and thought I had made the wrong choice when I bought my truck. The forum had scared me in into believing I had a stuck lifter or slipped sleeve when all that was wrong with my truck was the gas I had been running in it. Take what the forum has to say with a grain of salt as a lot of people will automatically jump to the worse scenario. So first piece of advice never put anything but top tier gas in the truck, it will run better and get you better fuel economy which anyone who has a rover will appreciate. Just as long as you take good care of your truck it will take care of you.

Now between Land Rover or Range Rover you have to remember they are the same company so they have the same quirks. A Range Rover will have nicer features and is more of any everyday driver, but also more expensive. The Disco can be a great daily driver but it's heart is the no frills off road experience. Don't get me wrong the Disco can be an awesome daily driver but it wants to be off the pavement.

Last edited by thesoundguru; 10-01-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i have 99 & 2000 Disco's as well as a 99 p-38 range rover, by far the RR is a better vehicle.
they were all bought with 70-80k on them the Disco's have been practically rebuilt in the last 3-years, the p-38 has need plugs, wires, intake manifold gasket & voltage regulator in just under 2-years.
in my opinion the late gems p-38 are probably the most maligned vehicle in LR history.

Last edited by drowssap; 10-02-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
i have 99 & 2000 Disco's as well as a 99 p-38 range rover, by far the RR is a better vehicle.
they were all bought with 70-80k on them the Disco's have been practically rebuilt in the last 3-years, the p-38 has need plugs, wires, intake manifold & voltage regulator in just under 2-years.
in my opinion the late gems p-38 are probably the most maligned vehicle in LR history.
I'm curious what can happen to a intake manifold. I'v heard of upgrading them for some reason. But never having to replace one. But I'm not all that mechanical either.. Maybe they warp or something like that?
Just curious

Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

manifold gasket

Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
manifold gasket
Oh yea I thought I was going to have a manifold issue next since I haven't had one yet, But both gaskets are new now with new Head Gaskets

Whew

Quick Reply: I Want a Land Rover