New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)
View Poll Results: Which Disco?
1999 $1000
100.00%
1998 $2000
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Looking to buy my first Rover...narrowed it down to two. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy my first Rover...narrowed it down to two. HELP!

Hi there! I've always wanted a Land Rover and an archaeology degree. I've got the degree and now I need a Rover.

My family is full of mechanics and I'm full time at an auto parts store. So the repairs and costs of parts for the Rovers do not scare me so much.

I have $1400-$2000 to work with.

Option 1) 1999 Disco 189k miles $1000

I've talked to the owner. He's saying the antifreeze is leaking. I live about forty five minutes away and he says I will not be able to drive it that distance without it overheating. This means I would have the additional cost of towing. My main concern is a head gasket problem. I can get the gasket kit for about $110. Then I would pay my family mechanics to work on it, maybe $300. (Is it reasonable to assume it is a head gasket issue?)

Option 2) 1998 Disco 156k $2000

From the sounds of it, there is nothing wrong with this Disco except the back door refusing to open and some rust on the runners. The body is clean and the interior just needs a nice wipe down. It has new valve cover gaskets, a new grill and bumper, new exhaust, and some neat additions like TV screens in the headrests and a Boss touchscreen radio system. The steering column plastic casing is open a bit, which makes me wonder if there's been electrical issues. (Again, reasonable?)

I'm paying for my grad school bills and so I'd love to save some money, which makes the first option so appealing. I'm just worried that I'd be swamped in repairs. So, how serious is an antifreeze leak?

Thanks for the help, all. I cannot wait to start posting pictures of my adventures in this baby!