Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Narrowed down my career choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowed down my career choice

So after doing some research I've decided that diesel mechanics is the route I want to go. Starting pay is roughly $45,000 after taxes it "should" be $35,000-$37,000 I think. I figure between hybrids, trains, semi trucks, construction equipment. I should be able to find a job. I'm not sure if I want to get ASE certified first and than go into a diesel career. Not sure yet.

What do yall think?

P.S. the other reason I want to become a diesel is so i can change my V8i into a TDI 300 . I know it will be a hell of a lot of work, but how many people can say they own a foreign diesel truck, that not 25 years old?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There are lots of things diesel doctors can work on. You'll need general skills as well. As for take home pay, you can get a free tax program, or the tax forms and instructons from www.irs.gov. You can crunch the numbers and see what the dollars will look like. You'll have fed tax, state tax, social security, medicare, wreckless eyeball tax, etc. It will go quick when you have rent, student loan payment, insurance, etc.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recomend getting specialized on a certain brand deisel (cat,cummins,detroit, yanmar, kabota, etc) after a general tech class. I know the guys in the local deisel repair place are making double the money being certified on individual brands over just a general diesel tech. ASE certification as far as that goes I would let your employer pay you to get that done, at least in my area thats how most guys are doing it. If you are wanting to go into the truck end of things Detroit and Cummins are your most popular engines right now in trucks. Off road equipment Cat, Kubota, and Yanmar seem to be the majority of whats in newer equipment.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If you want in a demand Thermo-King and Carrier techs are always in demand. I have been across the ConUS and reefer techs are always in demand. You would have to get HVAC license along with deisel but I have paid shops $200+ an hour to work on them.

Just my $.02

Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Haul
If you want in a demand Thermo-King and Carrier techs are always in demand. I have been across the ConUS and reefer techs are always in demand. You would have to get HVAC license along with deisel but I have paid shops $200+ an hour to work on them.

Just my $.02
Bingo! I love having my HVAC license, and working on heavy equipment is a blast and simple as all get out!

Good luck with your decisions! Only question I have is where do you get your wage numbers from? Not sure what they pay where you are, but starting wage in Idaho is half what it is in Alaska!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is always good when your vocation is a vacation. And being able to repair heavy equipment will be a plus for a long time, the banks are not making it any easier on contractors to borrow money to buy them, and the contractor has to keep the old stuff working longer.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Bingo! I love having my HVAC license, and working on heavy equipment is a blast and simple as all get out!

Good luck with your decisions! Only question I have is where do you get your wage numbers from? Not sure what they pay where you are, but starting wage in Idaho is half what it is in Alaska!

I can say most repairs I did on equipment was hyd hoses and PM services. Unless your workin on skid steers most equipment is simple to work on. Some of the stuff out there is being more complicated with electronics, but even then its usually a sensor or loose connection.
My father works for an idependent garage locally, he is thermoking and carrier certified and he cant keep up with the work doing 16 hour days 6-7 days a week. Worst part is there is a Thermoking dealer local but everyone seems to go to my father for work done even at almost double the price. Myself personally I cant stand working on them things but its a great field to get into. Like already posted lots of guys are running their equipment till its dead then they rebuild it and keep going. Diesel techs are going to be in demand more and more.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I want to hear! I would be happy making $30/hr starting, so every thing more is just gravy! There's a Kubota tractor factory and my Ag class will be taking a field trip sometime September. I'm also going to try to become proficient at welding (TIG, MIG, and other types of gas welding) That will be my fall back....

HVAC, thats always in demand in the south

Thanks for yalls input!