New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Looks Like I Made a Bad Decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull that Front Shaft and Rebuild Before You move it an inch.

I second the motion; do not drive it another inch until those front u-joints are changed. Its a little tricky to get out but you can do it, if they let loose going any faster than a crawl it will be reduced to a boat anchor. They are usually on a bind so you can't always tell they are bad by trying to move them by hand. Mine fooled me for about a month before I finally could fell some movement. When I pulled it the front u-joint actually fell apart. I was one drive away from ruining my life. The horn maybe a relay, the cruise control is most like the vacuum hose fallen off the actuator. Sounds like you have quite a project ahead of you. Just take it one step at a time; unless your loaded, so you don't break yourself. There is so much help to be found here, you can fix just about anything yourself. On the Three Amigos failure (ABS/TC) first of all make sure all the brake areas are sanitary; pull the wheels and clean them with a pressure washer; just be careful around any wires/connectors then blow all the components dry with compressed air. You can disconnect the negative battery lead for 30 seconds to clear the OBD II /ABS faults and see if they set again or problem solved. Just remember you are not alone everybody is here to help. I have had mine for a year know, I have learned more here in that year than any other year I can remember, with the help and advise here I have fix everything that was wrong with my Disc II and it is trouble free (knock on wood) at least this week anyway.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 AM
4wd Low

Checked the u joints and they are solid/recently changed. There is a little (just enought to click) bit of play in the driveshaft itself, is that normal?

As for the horn, the relay clicks when the button is pushed. I swapped it with the AC relay which was the same. Still no horn. Swapped the fuse with the spare, still no horn. Need a test light.

The vacuum hoses on the actuator appear fine. Will check them out with more light.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

a little drive line slack is normal but it shouldnt be clicking.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 AM
Mudding

The rest of the vehicle was neglected but the u-joints were changed. Hope so; the first couple of times I checked mine they appeared solid. Even the third time when I detected some looseness; the play was just barely detectable but when I removed the propeller shaft the front u-joint literally feel to pieces. If your u-joints have the grease fittings the shaft was refurbished. Not being a wisenheimer; I'd just hate to see things go bad for you. A hole in the side of the transmission would make me more than literally sick.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
4wd Low

Doing the transmission fluid tommorow - kinda had no choice. Got in after a meeting and after a short drive noticed the transmission started slipping bad :|

Threw it in low range and limped it around the block to AAA in Dubai. They were closed by time I got there

Hopefully it is just low fluid or the solenoid or something simple. There were no lights on the dash or anything. Maybe this is one of oil leaks

The front oil leak appears to be from the oil filter.

Not even through a full tank of gas yet... shame...