New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Lost in Translation

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:33 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost in Translation

Was at work today and tried to search for my usual LandRover forum site and came across this one, so registered. Not 'til I got home did I realise it's a Yank site. But hey, we speak the same language! I'm from Yorkshire, UK (so I'm miserable, tight-fisted and a bit blunt!)

Atfer looking through the posts I realised we don't speak quite the same language. So, here's a bit if an introduction and some translation:

I am on my third LR. The firist being a 1985 Normally aspirated deisel 90. I had this for three years. It cost me a fortune to renovate but helped me hone my welding skills, and I still miss it! This was replaced by a Tdi300 (deisel) Discovery auto. Lovely car, few problems, but was failing cosmetically so it had to go after three years, to be replaced by a Manaul Td5 (Disco II, or Series II as you know them. Series II has a different meaning over here). You will notice that they have all been oil-burners. V8's are pretty rare over here as we pay about 90p per litre for petrol (gas). I guess this is about $1.40/l over there. I couldn't even try to convert to gallons as this is one thing that you guys have that is smaller than us!

Some translation (us first, coz we invented the language;-))

tyres=tires
litre=liter (French, is it safe to mention them here?)
wing=fender
bumper=that bit at the front and back (isn't this also a fender?)
petrol=gas
straight (road)=straight away (where did that come from)

Anyway, nice to be here.