New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

My Mother's Day LR3

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Mother's Day LR3

Hello Guess I'll introduce myself because my husband said I will have to pay attention to forums as a Land Rover owner. I bought my first DiscoI (97') a few years ago without consulting anyone (mostly meaning my husband who was outta town for a few months for work) first. I wanted it...it smelled like an old truck which reminded me of my daddy and came with a list of issues. So of course I LOVED IT!!! Started fixing problems one by one UNTIL the fateful day came and I was car #4 in a 5 car pile up on the PCH (near Zuma Beach for anyone from California)! Because I live in the heart of Hollywood and was paying to park I couldn't leave my baby in the lot for long and definitely was NOT allowed to do any repairs there nor did I have anywhere to work on it long term. So I called the gentleman I bought it from and just sold it back to him for parts or to fix (the whole front end was JACKED)! My husband only saw it and rode in in ONCE before that happened (I had it less than 4 months)!

I quietly putted around in our run down Subaru that was given to us by my in-laws for the last year or more...never complaining about it. Eye balling any Land Rover that drove past me...sighing every time we drove past the Land Rover Service center (on my street). My husband has his toys (motorcycles, cameras, fish tanks, blah blah) so when it was time for a car I pushed for a Land Rover (I had my eye on another Disco)! My hubs not as in love with Rovers as I...decided yesterday on Mother's Day that our car would be a Land Rover. We talked, discussed and he researched. Resulting in my 'new to me' 2006 LR3. I also made a promise I would unlazy myself and help with car care. So here I am. Probably get all the lingo messed up...call things by the wrong namey thingy and recording myself reenacting the sounds made from my engine: misusing punctuation;! So feel free to make fun...

Here's to hoping being a daughter of a mechanic who paid attention pays off

Thanks for the help already and looking forward to sharing any knowledge or experience I have as well learning from all of you.

Last edited by astarrdemille; 05-14-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like a deal. Here is the maintenance guide for the truck, and the whole shop and owner manuals can be downloaded in links in my signature. I would point out that the front differential costs $2200+ at the dealer. It has 22 ounces of fluid that costs maybe $30 a quart if you pay top price. Rover says change every 150,000. In your D1, the same part held 3 times as much fluid, the D1 weighed 1300 pounds less, and had less horsepower. And normally you changed fluid more often.

IMHO the service intervals are drawn up for leased vehicles, sliding the expensive repairs to the next owner. Change things early and often, just like voting in Chicago.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
maintenance schedules.pdf (544.6 KB, 86 views)