New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 04:01 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

Hello I am new to this and I have a 1997 discovery and I néed some help please. OK first off it is a very good and clean ride and took very well care of I'm the 2nd owner . I just got it and the owner before me has been drinking it for a while now and I known because I have seen it and I am friends with eh old owner. He came home one day turned it off like normal and the next day went to leave and it wouldn't start and it cranks and crank but won't start . It's got half tank gas and everything seems to be working fine but the oil light is on and check engine light is now on also . Let me ask a dumb question I know some newer and even older cars have this kind of oil sensor that will not allow the engine to start and run at all when the oil is very low does this 97 model have that oil sensor and if not can someone tell me what's the problem with this 96 model please and thank you

Old 11-05-2015, 06:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the oil light will not go off until it have oil pressure, ie motor running.
have to checked the crank shaft position switch

Old 11-06-2015, 06:46 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by drowssap
the oil light will not go off until it have oil pressure, ie motor running.
have to checked the crank shaft position switch
No I have not I don't know how and or where it's located and I got it to start with starter fluid but only for a second or two and it was 3 quarts low and the lights still on but it's not started completely to build pressure and all the fuses are good and I'm not sure if this even matters but there is not a radio at all in it and some off the wires have been left bare and cut and stuff so I just got done taping them all up and stuff but still nothing it just cranks and crank's and acts like it's wanting to start but won't unless I spray starter fluid and also has half tank of gas it ran great until the day they turned it off and went out the next day to startand then nothing just cranks over any other ideas and also the anti lock lights on and some yellow light is on in the bottom right of the dash it don't have any words on it just a little square yellow light and check engine light still on and I left the battery unplug for 24 hours and still all the same nothing different and also I don't have the little remote that goes on the key ring at all does this matter thanks and sorry about the book I wrote you

Old 11-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check the inertia switch which controls your fuel pump, may need to be reset.

put a guage on the fuel rail and see if you have pressure there.

plug in an OBD2 scanner set it to live RPM, and crank the truck over,
if you get 0 for RPMs it a bad crack shaft positioning sensor.

have you down loaded a manual for your truck yet?
there are a lot of people have link to the manual in their signtures