New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New 2004 Discovery II Owner In Texas

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:46 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2004 Discovery II Owner In Texas

I'm actually now the owner of two Discovery II's that I bought yesterday from the same owner. The owner is moving out of the country and I got a pretty good deal on both of them. I was planning on buying one for myself but then my wife's car got totaled last week and these two were available from the same owner so we pulled the trigger.

Both are 2004. One is an SE with about 78K miles and the other is an SE7 with about 68K miles. We drove them from Houston to Austin last night and no issues on the way home, so I guess that's a good start. haha

Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Double trouble.

On both vehicles check front prop shaft, if still oem it will have no grease fittings on one end. It can snap, with almost no warning, when grease is cooked out by CATs. When it snaps, it flails around and bashes a hole in the side of the transmission case.

Heat gauge in truck is not reliable. Use an OBDII connected scanner like ULtra Gauge to see true coolant temp. Upgrade to 180F made by Land Rover thermostat.

Mechanical oil pressure gauge test is good idea. External oil gauge even better. Avoids problems with cracked pumps.

Factory shop manual is called the RAVE, free download below.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

welcome.
sounds like you cleaned him out.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Double trouble.

On both vehicles check front prop shaft, if still oem it will have no grease fittings on one end. It can snap, with almost no warning, when grease is cooked out by CATs. When it snaps, it flails around and bashes a hole in the side of the transmission case.

Heat gauge in truck is not reliable. Use an OBDII connected scanner like ULtra Gauge to see true coolant temp. Upgrade to 180F made by Land Rover thermostat.

Mechanical oil pressure gauge test is good idea. External oil gauge even better. Avoids problems with cracked pumps.

Factory shop manual is called the RAVE, free download below.
Thanks for the tips. I've already downloaded RAVE. I'm not super mechanical, but I bought these with the understanding that they will need to be serviced quite a bit. I couldn't pass up the price for the two though.

They are both going to the Land Rover mechanic tomorrow to check on the front prop shaft. I'll look into the thermostat.

Thanks again. Looking forward to the fun ahead!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Mudding

You won't regret your purchase. By far my most favorite toy I've owned and welcome to the forums!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Drifting

Welcome! Somebody else stated on here once and it is absolutely true, doing what you can on these vehicles saves money and you learn. But it all carries over to any vehicle. I love my disco and it isn't that complex. I've stumbled but if someone asks me about there car I have a ever growing knowledge and it is very useful. Enjoy