New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New guy from Orlando Fl

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from Orlando Fl

Well, I got my first Discovery a few days ago. Its a white 96 discovery, it has some things done to it like Old Man Emu Springs and Pro Comp ES 9000 shocks. The truck also came with a safari snorkel and air box not installed on the truck yet witch i plan on doing this weekend.

Overall it was the nicest discovery i found locally and the previous owner had about 3 other discoveries in the past. I am pretty pleased with my purchase so far. I really only plan on getting bigger tires and eventually find a front bumper and roof basket. But those last 2 i can wait until it pops up used locally.

Cons along with questions
1. the abs light comes on and off, when the light is off it seems like the abs comes on way to easy. If the light is on for it then it won't come on at all.

My question for that is can I just unplug the abs unit somehow and not even deal with it. Like pull the fuse or just un plug.

2. There is a slight coolant leak on the truck witch looks to be the valley pan gasket leaking.

I plan on just attempting to fix that myself, i just gotta pressure test it first to make sure.

3. I also plan on doing plugs and wires, the truck does not misfire it just runs a little rough when its cold and when it warms up it is good to go. Hoping that may help fix the problem.

Any other advise or things to check would be great, I plan on using this truck as a daily driver and also as a light trail truck to go camping and what not on the weekends.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Keep eagle eye on temps if loss of coolant going on, very easy to overheat engine. Above 9:00 is suspect on gauge. You can pull fuse on ABS for "long term diagnostics". Take a look in our tech area for the 60K mile service list. Download the factory shop manual and owners manuals, called the RAVE, at link below.

Leak on top of valley can also be from water pump, like you said, borrow a coolant pressure tester and be sure.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Keep eagle eye on temps if loss of coolant going on, very easy to overheat engine. Above 9:00 is suspect on gauge. You can pull fuse on ABS for "long term diagnostics". Take a look in our tech area for the 60K mile service list. Download the factory shop manual and owners manuals, called the RAVE, at link below.

Leak on top of valley can also be from water pump, like you said, borrow a coolant pressure tester and be sure.

I am a little confused on the above 9 part. The gauge in the truck never really goes up to the center and losses very little water in the time i have been driving it. I would say it gets to about 9 o'clock and stays there. Is that good or bad? Before i got this truck i did some research on them and kept reading about don't let it overheat. That is why i am going to try and fix this before it gets worse. Hopefully in the next week or two.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Overlanding

hello

how are u

Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kuma.lk
hello

how are u

I am good lol how are you?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Greetings to the forum. Lots of great guys and gals on here with a wealth of infomation. Use the search tab above for questions as you not the first to come across a problem with a Land Rover product... Enjoy the frustration and joy that comes with owning a classic British vehicle

Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Drifting

Well we did the pressure test today and realized we didn't have the proper fitting needed. So did some searching around and felt under the thermostat house to find it leaking. So I couldn't find the proper gasket locally so I cleaned it up real well and used rtv and no leak and it seems to be holding coolant so far.

Last night we installed the safari snorkel that came with the truck. I haven't been that excited about installing a car part in a while.

I did however discover another problem. The fuel tank will not let me fill it up and if I force it and or keep trying to pump fuel in it then it spills out. Not sure if this is common. I am going to do some searching around and see what I find.