New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New here and looking for disco advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:31 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New here and looking for disco advice

Hey everyone,

I am planning to sell my Rubicon and ‘downsize’ to an older discovery. I’m looking to spend about 5k but hoping to add a number of mods such as lift, bumpers, wheels etc. This rig will be used for Chukar hunting in the desert.

Having never owned a disco, what years and models would you recommend for my price range? What are common problems and what should I be weary of when buying an older one.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Old 12-27-2018, 06:51 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

As as with any older vehicle look for something that has been maintained regularly. I’d pop the hood and look for any oil leaks or coolant leaks. Oil leaks around the valve covers is quite common but easy to fix. The less rust the better. I would ask about the head gaskets and plugs/wires/coil packs. Unless you feel like doing engine work I’d avoid anything that didn’t run smooth or had a tick.

I would look for an 04 with the CDL. First things I would do would be putting in a serviceable driveshaft if it didn’t have one, swapping the thermostat for a 180*, and ensuring all the leaks are fixed. Then address any issues you possibly discover.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Thanks Robert, that's great advice.

Forgive my ignorance, what is the CDL?

What are the driveshaft and thermostat issues that may pop up?

Old 12-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chelskisw6
Forgive my ignorance, what is the CDL?

What are the driveshaft and thermostat issues that may pop up?
Center Diff Lock. It was on the ‘04 and the guys exist on earlier models but without the shifter.

If you don’t service the driveshafts they could eventually explode and damage the transmission.

The thermostat tat isn’t necessary but would lower the running temps, it’s a common replacement if you end up draining the coolant for any reason. The D2s are notorious for overheating and cracking the block. You could be fine with the standard temp thermostat as long as you keep the coolant system in good order.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by robert.juric

Center Diff Lock. It was on the ‘04 and the guys exist on earlier models but without the shifter.

If you don’t service the driveshafts they could eventually explode and damage the transmission.

The thermostat tat isn’t necessary but would lower the running temps, it’s a common replacement if you end up draining the coolant for any reason. The D2s are notorious for overheating and cracking the block. You could be fine with the standard temp thermostat as long as you keep the coolant system in good order.

Again, thanks for the really helpful info!

My head tells me that these cars will be a lot of work and I should stay with my jeep, my heart tells me I need to go back to my roots and get a Landy

Old 12-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by chelskisw6
Again, thanks for the really helpful info!

My head tells me that these cars will be a lot of work and I should stay with my jeep, my heart tells me I need to go back to my roots and get a Landy

Do you look back at your Jeep after a drive and say dammmm that’s hot ??
If yes don’t sell keep it

if no

than buy a Landy it’s different and it’s dammmm sexy just follow the maintenance suggested on the d2 forum in the sticky’s by disco mike

a must is
tstat to 180
replace coolant with green stuff
driveshaft upgrade
8 mm wires
fuel purge valve
update oil separator to pvc style

all the info is on here

Old 12-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

And I don’t know what you mean by downsize

Old 01-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by redwhitekat

Do you look back at your Jeep after a drive and say dammmm that’s hot ??
If yes don’t sell keep it

if no

than buy a Landy it’s different and it’s dammmm sexy just follow the maintenance suggested on the d2 forum in the sticky’s by disco mike

a must is
tstat to 180
replace coolant with green stuff
driveshaft upgrade
8 mm wires
fuel purge valve
update oil separator to pvc style

all the info is on here
It's pretty sexy but it's no Landy

I will check out the sticky's, thank you! I'll do my best to find a vehicle that has maintenance records so at least I'll have a better idea of what I'm getting into. Anything else I should specifically look/listen for when checking out cars?

By 'downsize' I mean dumping my car payment (and taking on repair costs!)