New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member Help Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:14 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Help Question

Looking for advice ...

I know this is a broad question but what should I be looking for or concerned about related to a 2004 Discovery II SE7 I am planning to look at (86,000 miles) ? I've only ever bought used vehicles and have rolled around in the driveway with every one of them - Currently wrenching on my 13' Ford F250 XLT and 06' Audi A4 2.0T Quattro (and 05' Harley FLHRI) - I know enough in general but what can you all school me on for particulars to be looking for / watching out for on that make and model LR ?

Bumped into an opportunity with another LR (and passed it up) and now think I've really fallen for the brand.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by DFMAGuy; 06-14-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forum DFMAGuy! Yes, that is a broad question lol.. but we may be able to help. DII's are notorious for being clingy, needy, crabby, touchy trucks! They need a lot of time and attention and they will nickle and dime you to death if you're not mechanically inclined. BUT.. it sounds as if you ARE mechanically inclined (excellent!) so I would recommend looking out for the following:

Front Drive Shaft - it will need to be rebuilt or replaced due to non-greasable zerks on the U-joints failing. Not a hard fix.. just something to be aware of so your shaft doesn't fail and throw itself into the transmission.

Head Gaskets - they typically need to be replaced on these rigs and the heads machined. If you're handy and a shade tree mechanic, you probably can handle the job. Look for coolant leaks.

Floor rot.. depending on where you live, they are notorious for rusting from within.. take a look under the carpet if possible and underneath the rig.

XYZ switch - these fail on many - not a hard fix or $350 at a garage

Three Amigos - Shuttle Valve/ABS module issue most likely. You'll see 3 lights come on in the dash - TC, ABS and hill decent. Drive the Rover like it's old school until you want to fix it, if ever.

Window actuators - they break, motors break, switches go bad.

Sunroofs.. they leak!

What else... hahaha.. water pumps should be replaced, throttle body heater, may act up..

and last but definitely not least.. you should read about 'slipped liners' on the 03 and 04 models.

They are a great looking vehicle and will take you places you've never been before - but it is a love/hate relationship at times. If you have patience and a little knowledge, pocket-cash and motivation, you should be just fine.

Welcome!

The following users liked this post:
freedisco (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome. Hope your purchase goes well. Thanks for that list.