New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member intro

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member intro

Hello everyone!

Over the weekend, I finally purchased the vehicle I always wanted!
I bought a 1996 Land Rover Disco SE7, with 109,000 miles on it! I have been going through the threads to determine maintenance, what I should inspect and what I should replace! There are some good checklists on here on maintenance and repair. She sat for a few years, here in the AZ sun, and its brutal on the paint. Today she is going for a transmission flush and oil change!

I love this beat! She floats along the roads seamlessly it seems. When I am done with the maintenance on her, she is going off road!

Matt
Tucsondiscovery
Tucson, AZ

Attached Thumbnails New Member intro-my-2006-land-rover-discovery.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. Our tech area has lots of DIY things for the vehicle, and the RAVE is the factory set of owner and shop manuals to download. 10W30 oil is too thin, note in the manual it is only rated for use up to 95F. Be warned that the heat gauge is not all that accurate, an OBDII scanner or Ultra Gauge will show you real coolant temps. You may want to consider a 180F thermostat, and flush of cooling system. On the older trucks, just sitting there the radiator will still "grow" calcium; a side tank can be unsoldered from the brass and copper radiator and the core rodded out if in good shape, about $75 carry in near me. Should not have sounds like water rushing thru pipes under the dash (air or exhaust gas in coolant).

Attached Thumbnails New Member intro-p1120320.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great info, I really do like this truck! Today, I changed all the plugs, wires and added some Lucas treatment to the Automatic transmission, since its shifting a bit hard. This truck was neglected, and it sat around for a few years, worse thing you can do to a vehicle! It has issues, but I am working through them 1 at a time. The interior is mint, the exterior, windows and sunroof need some TLC, but they are last, after the routine mechanical issues are solved! Tomorrow is chasis and drivetrain day! I am going to go over the drive train, empty out ALL the other fluids, other then transmission, engine oil, brake fluid. It has a bad passenger side caliper that leaking and it needs brakes so that will be an all day project of drain, flush and change all the pads. There is lots of great info on here!!

I am 42 years old, and this vehicle and in doing all my maintenance reminds me of when I was in my 20's and working on vehicles! Only now, I find this enjoyable and not really work!

Matt
Tucsondiscovery