New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New Member Introduction

Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Introduction

Hello Everyone!
I am a new member to this forum because I own a 98 Discovery and I had a lot of questions and reading thru all the posts helped me fix my problem. Please excuse my wording when I post I am a female and dont know much about what certain parts are called yet, but can get my point across. I work on my Disco every weekend and love working under the hood. Also am looking into buying my whole tool set so I have fewer problems, because its a pain to have to ask around for tools because I am missing a specific one. I know this because replacing the water pump was a pain since I couldnt find a wrench big enough to loosen the fan to get to the pump. If you have done this you understand my pain. Feel free to correct my questions or to help me reword, or even put the actual name for whatever it is I am talking about.

Last edited by LRchick; 10-24-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. I use a big crescent adjustable wrench and a hammer. A firm hit, toward the left when facing motor. Not a love pat. The hit reserved for ex-husband's attorney. You can do a whole lot of work with a tool set from some place like Lowe's where they just happen to be on sale. I do most of the on my vehicles with tools that cost under $200. You'll always come across something else that would be handy. The RAVE download is the Rover shop manual set, just look things up in there and use their terms. We know what "bonnet" means. RAVE means "Rover's A'int Very Economical".

As for "powder puff" mechanics, no such thing with Rover's - you'll get just as greased as the rest of us. Coveralls, disposable gloves, we use them also, as well as tarps to lay on, etc. Eye protection is a good idea since gunk will drop off with very little help, get in your eyes, make you bang your head against something, etc. I do warn people with long hair and dreadlocks to be very careful - the serpantine belt is quicker than a rattle snake. A pair of ramps is very handy to have.

Might be a Rover club in your area.

Attached Thumbnails New Member Introduction-images123.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Mudding

Thank you for the welcoming. I started to do mechanical stuff when I realized you can't trust "mechanics" im not saying all but they return your car with more problems. I am thinking I am going to start checking out alternators need to get a new one. I love going off roading so I like to maintain my vehicles.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

On alternators you have a couple of choices.

1. Go to a u-pull-da-partz salvage yard. Parts are cheap, and you learn a lot just seeing the vehicles in various states of dismantle. Plus you can practice taking it off on their unit before you damage your own. Get one from like $30, have it tested for free at auto parts store, put on the spares shelf. While at the yard pickup a spare MAF for a D1 for about $25, comapred to $1400 new..... You can save quite a bit on salvage parts, and a road trip to several junk yards can be fun. It is more expensive that emailing a parts guy and having it shipped (when you add in gas, your time, etc.). Me - I fly low with the partz vulturez when I can because I like seeing all the other vehicles .

2. Local small alternator rebuild shop. They will use good quality components, quick turn around if you carry in.

3. Rebuild yourself, there are DIY writeups posted around for that. All alternators die eventually because they use a pair of graphite square brushes to connect electrical power to the rotating part. Eventually, that brush set wears down and starts loosing contact. At that point, no charging, and tach starts staying on zero. Bearings go out as well.

3.5 - Purchase new from on-line source, or used from a dismantler parts guy.

4. Big box auto parts. Bad thing is that reman units tend to have the cheapest parts from China, and last in some cases only a few weeks. If forced to go this route, be sure to get the warranty, and carry sales ticket in the vehicle with you so you can get warranty when it dies 300 miles from home.

5. Dealer - a new unit is high priced.

There is some swappability between Disco and Range Rover, but I don't recall anyone posting about a direct swap from another popular vehicle. Some owners have even retrofitted Delco alternators, but that requires a bracket, pulley, different belts, connector for electrical, etc. More often seen write up for that for old Rovers.

Stock D1 alternator is 100 amp. Mine has a drain of up to 85 amps with everything stock turned on (wipers, AC, blower fan, radio, lights). So if off roading with a dozen Hella lamps you can run down a battery even though truck is running.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-25-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Mudding

Thank you Savannah Buzz. I just started researching about the alternators and see what my options are. I do freak out a little because autozone wants a lot for a new alternator and they tried giving me one that did not work for my Disco. Then I have a few little fixing like buying it a cargo cover, and fixing the inside as the "wood" that goes around the window switches because it is cracked. Also I am looking into a lift.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give Lincoln from Rover Bones a call, he is in NM. He frequents here often.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Mudding

Wheelgarage thank you. Since I am a newbie I am happy to be here where I can get ideas and who to contact. I also see if people want to sell or trade something I need for cheaper.

Have a great day! I will be uploading some pictures of my Discovery soon!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! Here you will find some of the kindest people in the land rover community. From what i understand Lincoln is in your area and should have any part you will need if there is anything you need or don't understand just ask and we will do our best to inform you or answer any questions. Take care and welcome aboard!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Mudding

Hello lr2001silver. I already feel like I have more friends with same kind of interest and that I can ask questions to and even when one person doesnt know the answer many pop in and try to give their input.
I do have to say that now as I drive my Disco I feel very proud that the work done under the hood is something I do on my own! Nobody believes me. But As long as I know :-)

Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep and that's the way if works and even one knows a shortcut we like those. They are not really hard to work on so that's a big plus. And then if you have the rave and can read it makes it a pretty easy job. However it is cool that you roll up your sleeves and make tour own repairs. Breaking head bolts loose may not be so easy though. Again Its good to have your company here!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member Introduction