New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

new member from WV, potential owner with a ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member from WV, potential owner with a ?

New member, first post
Well I am very interested in getting a 2007 lr2 as I drove one some 6 or so months ago and loved it. the potential problem is that I live in a semi rural town in WV in which the nearest dealership is either Chantilly, VA (2 1/2 hrs) or Monroeville, pa (same).

I called my local advance and they said they could order 3 different parts for the vehicle. of course I am aware that there is always the net to get parts.

I see other land rovers around here and there in town and some other close towns but I don't know anyone personally that owns one. Is maintenance on a LR going to be more of a hassle than its worth?

Thanks in advance for any advice I receive!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 AM
3rd Gear

Anybody? Think I just saw a tumbleweed blow through...lol

Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
4wd Low

Mate!! Howisgoing! I am from WA (Western Australia) - bit rough no local bugger responded to you! I am curently seeking a LR Disco II V8 auto trans - have had two Series I V8 auto trans in the past. Never cost me a cent apart from maintenence/servcing. And what a great sound that old 1950's Buick V8 is!! For as long as we have petrol, what a way to use it!!

Regards

Ray

Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Not to be rude, but your question, "Is maintenance on a LR going to be more of a hassle than its worth?" cannot be answered empirically. What might be a hassle to me could be a shrug of the shoulders for you.

I've owned my 2000 RR for not even 2 months so I am still asking myself that same question. So far getting everything working to my satisfaction is on par with any other used car I've owned.

I am enjoying the accessibility of shop manuals and active forums for my Land Rover. Other manufacturers should take note!

That said, I have found you can get substantial savings ordering parts on line, so plan ahead if you can. Not to knock Advanced Auto Parts but I've had sketchy experiences with the quality of some the parts they sell, especially rebuilt/remanufactured electrical stuff like alternators and starters; you get what you pay for there so know your aftermarket brands. I've learned the hard way to spend the extra coin for a top quality part, because I prefer to fix something once, the first time.

I bet you can find some good indie Land rover mechanics closer to you than Chantilly. I'm certain there are good shops in Winchester VA or Martinsburg WV and probably in Morgantown, even.

Regardless of the auto's make, rarely will you find someone letting go of a gem, most of the time people are trying to sell you their problems.

And that's all I know about Land Rovers.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM
4th Gear

Land Rover Lottery is what I call it. Have owned 2 Discos, and now have a RRSport. One Disco was an expensive nightmare, the other required very little. So far so good with the Sport.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

@Phil, It's been a couple weeks since your last post, but if you ever check this thread and buy a Rover don't take it to the dealer in Monroeville, PA. If there aren't any closer to you, then there are several good Rover mechanics in the general vicinity of Pittsburgh...one is called McB's, and is located off I-79 in Bridgeville, PA (a southern suburb of Pittsburgh).