New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

New owner from Minnesota.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:36 AM
BMW
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner from Minnesota.

Hello all, My name is Sam, I'm just about 23 years old and live in Hopkins, MN with my wife of a little over a year.

I am a big time BMW enthusiast and currently drive a lightly modded B5 Audi A4, and have always loved landrovers. I recently developed a need to get a larger vehicle that could do better in MN snowstorms. My audi's quattro is good but no matter how good a car is it still can't get through a foot of snow.

I have been on the hunt for a rare breed of 100K plus landrovers that didn't shake, clunk, smoke, overheat, or grind. I test drove about 15 rovers, some range rovers, mostly discos, and most of them did more than one of the above.

I came across a nice clean 2000 Disco, with all the options but the jump seats, 138,000 miles, and very clean. I feel super good about my purchase and hope to gain a ton of knowledge from this forum.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Where are our manners? Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Please download the free RAVE tech manual below, covers that model, with owners, shop, electrical, wiring, and body manuals.

In the Discovery 1 section of the forum the technical listing has a write up on what to look for on D2s, and D1s and comparison between.

D2s have a lot more electronics, buy a new battery. Check fluids daily at first, then weekly forever. It's a Land Rover, that starts with "L" for "leak".

Change oil early and often, 5000 miles. Use a diesel rated oil for extra cleaning.

Watch heat gauage like a hawk, these tea kettles don't do well with overheat.

When buying let it idle for 20 minutes befopre taking a good long test drive. Check coolant.

Parts cost and complexity of repair are similar to Audi (example: replace a fuel pump and you will find out what puts the "oww" in "Audi"). I used to have an Audi 5000.